Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bergie NV Sound in a smaller package?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Mar 10, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    IS there such a thing. I'm really in love with my 425 but sometimes (read almost always) is a bit much for small stages and floors.

Is there a small(er) cab(s) that can get me in the neighborhood of the NV sound.

A pair of Aggie GS112's is what I had in mind. Anything else?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I find that a Ear Candy 212 sounds pretty similar to my NV 610. I bet the 210 would be even closer.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sadowsky SA410 with the tweeter rolled off does a great NV610 impersonation.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    given its pedigree, that's not hard to believe. ;)

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Yep..which is exactly why I bought one! :)

6. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

How much does that baby boy weigh?

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hmm..without checking the specs, I'd say it's probably in the mid 80 lb. area. No lightweight for sure, but due to its relative thinness and small size, it's pretty easy to haul around. Much more so than most other 4x10's I've had. Also...I noticed you said you were considering a pair of Aggie 112s. I can't speak for them, but I did own an Aggie 212, and frankly didnt care for it much. It definitely did not sound anything like a Berg NV610. The NV610 (and the Sadowsky) are very punchy cabinets, with a really nice midrange. The Aggies were extremely scooped sounding. Very thick lows and snappy highs. If I didn't know better, I would have expected to see an "SWR" badge on the cab just based on the sound.

8. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

Thanks for the input.

Now I have an NV425 but I'm leaning towardws the sound of the 215 more than the 610.

How are the lows on the Sad?

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It has heavier lows than the Berg, just by virtue of being a ported cab. However, the low end is fairly tight. It definitely does not have a big boomy low end, which I prefer to avoid.

10. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I have an NV425. In my mind, the extra punchiness of a sealed cabinet design is what gives it so much of its character. Also, that 15" speaker can do things (a deep fullness to the sound) that I just don't hear from 10's or 12's. Smaller cabs will generally be ported and lack the 15, so it's hard for me to imagine any smaller/lighter cab matching the authoritative bottom and hit-you-in-the-chest presence of the NV425.

That being said, if you like the Bergantino sound, I get a lot of the same vibe from my HT112, either by itself or paired with the EX112 (mini-stack). I use the 112's for smaller gigs and they seem to have a lot of that same yummy Bergantino magic.

11. Hello! I had the pleasure of trying out the Sadowsky410 at Tom's GTG. While it's not a featherweight, the very thin profile (I think 16" deep) makes it very easy to hoist up and lift, and it has wheels. I agree with Pat that it does have a more 'sealed cab' vibe... very, very mid punchy and tight... versus the more open sound of th Ag 410 or Epi, for example. I would think, as Pat mentions, with the tweeter attenuated to almost off, you would get a very good 'classic sealed cab' sound out of that cab.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY

I agree with cheezewiz about the Aggie's not sounding like the NV series cabs. I have the GS212 and a NV425. The Aggie is a wonderful cab... just different. Definetly deeper lows, but they don't "cut through" like the lows on the Berg.

Correct me if i'm wrong cheezwiz, but I think you used a Mesa 400+ with your GS 212, if so... I don't particularly care for that match nearly as well as I did with my AG500(solid state) head. The AG500 and the 212 were just meant to be, in my experience. Kind of like the NV425 and the Mesa 400+.

So, with getting back on topic here.
    If you're wanting the NV sound, I wouldn't go with the Aggies. However the S series cabs from Aguilar may be worth a look,(they still selling them for ridiculously low prices on MF?).

When you do find the sound you're looking for, please let me know. A portable "NV" rig sounds wonderful.:hyper:

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Beat me to it! :D

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You know, I am just flat out in love with the sound of the NV215, and to be honest, I just don't think that you can capture that cab in a smaller package. The SA410 can get you much of what the NV610 offers (plus a great sounding tweeter, when you want it!), but the NV215 is, I think, more difficult to emulate in a smaller cab.

Tom.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    You all are pissing me off. LOL

Between Tommixx and I talking constantly about his NV610 and others about their NV425's I am about to buckle.

I am very close to going back to sealed cabs. I get a ton of low end from my Edens BUT I find myself turning the tweeter off, ALWAYS. I do not play slap or need highend sizzle. I need smooth highs.

More so, I need highly fcoused low end and low mids. Particularily low B stuff. My B string had to be very defined and full. No room for boominess.

Man, I didn't need a new rig or even mine until this summer and now I am fighting serious gas for either an NV610 or NV425. Leaning towards the NV425; best of both worlds theory.

16. +1 Quite frankly the NV610 sounded like most other 'multiple 10 sealed cabs to me'... very nice, but nothing new, and as with all cabs like that, very limited range of sounds... great sounding if that 'SVT thing' is what you are going for in a somewhat smaller and higher quality package. Obviously, for my tone preferences, that is about as far from my thing as you can get. I found in my limited experience with the Sadowsky 410 that you could get that cab in a very similar tone territory as the 610.

However..... I went into trying the NV215 with the same attitude (I get mixed up with these names... assuming, Tom, that was the 2x15 with 6" mid that we played through at your house).... I thought, OK a high quality 'old school' 215 cab. Wow, was I wrong... that cab is totally full range all the way up to the very upper mids. It won't do sizzly, but that's not what it's about. Huge sounding, but still articulate and punchy.... to me the best of an 'old school' sound with just enough modern definition to really cut through in the mix and also to bring out the vast improvement (IMO) in bass pickups and preamps that has occured over the years.

For the sound described by BigMike (huge, full low end, and upper mid and lower treble articulation 'just before a tweeter would kick in)... this cab would be it IMO!

I am not familiar with the 425.

17. I've posted before the BMS (HT/EX112) with various amps such as a DB750 or TFB550 is to me, virtually a small NV215 that lacks some of the very real/natural, room filling type lows. Jim told me a long time ago when the NV seriers came out that at the time the BMS although a ported tweeter setup was close to his sealed cabs for punch etc. Now, I've not heard any of the Sadowsky/Bergs so I can't comment.

I had a NV610 which I moved on from not being a huge tens fan an now have a NV215. I generally use it with a DB750. So far I prefer using my Sadowsky PJ4 with flats over my Sadowsky VJ4 with rounds. With the 750/215 is just sounds awesome and has a unique presence all it's own. Many of you wouldn't like this for your purposes like slapping and zing, but for my band with horns and a Blues/Motown/RB/Rock style it is just about perfect. I do use the VJ4 with rounds but I don't get the even punch all over like the flats. I do prefer the VJ4 with my BMS and TBF550 but the flats sound superb too. Sometime you get a little tired of feeling flats though.

18. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry to highjack the thread, but I played a NV610 this week and now I'm thinking about getting one. How much is the Sadowsky? If you had to pick one or the other... which one??

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, partially true. I used the Aggie GS212 with a GK1001RBII. It was a decent match but not spectacular. When I switched to the Mesa, I found that it wasn't a good match at all (so I definitely concur with you there). I went to the Berg NV610, which turned out to be a very good match with the Mesa.
    I'd like to hear the Aggie cabs with an AG500. I was very impressed with that head when I tried it at Tom's.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Sadowsky is $999. If I was doing purely classic rock, I'd choose the NV610. If I was doing more of a variety, I'd go for the Sadowsky.