BergNV610 or Epifani NYC T-610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BPotyk, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever played both of these? Or does anyone have either or?
    I am considering these two cab's. I'm leaning towards the NV610 as I play fingerstyle no slapping

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HANDS DOWN Epifani!!!

I've owned the Berg & it's quite warm & middy(sold it) but the Epi(played through at Nicks shop with Joker), is just amazing!

It does it all & loves it all...

PS: I play finger style 6 string
  3. Thanks for the info...I have a SWR Goliath SR. and I like it but I'm looking for somenthing mor midrangy... :bassist:
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Does the Epi 610 have a tweeter?

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yep, and it's ported...

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and you can get the ultralite version which is a svelt 82 lbs.!! ohhhh yea... :cool:
  7. Cost wise I think the Berg is a little less expensive.
    The Ultralite Epifani is costly. hopefully this sat I'll head up to austin and check some cabs out.

Thanks for the info.

8. I've got the NV610 and do not find it "too midrangey" but you are comparing a tweeterless non-ported cab to a a 610 that has a tweeter and is ported. Now it is just a matter of what you want. You are comparing a orange to a tangerine, both citrus but very different. The NV610 is solid vintage 100% but sounds way tighter and smoother from top to bottom than the SVT it's supposed to derive it's stlye/tone from. And way lighter too. I have only played minimal Epi's and found them to open too open-airy for my taste. They sound absolutely beautiful to me until I get them in a mix, and that is were my ears appreciated the so called midrangey bump. Again my real experiance with Epiphani is very limited, only to the first 212 in a mix and I probably should have had a better amp, so my experiance may be flawed a bit. The small t112 is pretty impressive with just one.
  9. Thanks for the info Big String. the NV610 sounds like what I'm looking for. When you mention the ampeg, does the Berg have a more balanced or less enhanced bass sound? Thanks again.
  10. Dang it! I was about to order an Ampeg 810, but all this talk lately has got me considering the NV-610 again. You people keep giving me GAS! :p My only reservations are that I can't try one and that there isn't a Canadian dealer....
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Big String has it exactly right. It all depends on what you're looking for in a speaker cab.

If you do an A/B test between a vintage style cab like the NV610 and a modern tweetered and ported cab such as the Epifani, you'll notice the latter to have a more hi-fi sound: crisper top end, perhaps lower lows. Many bassists want that wider frequency response, but some of us don't.

I actually own both styles: the NV610, and some Bergantino HT series cabs. I love the HT's and still use them, but the NV610 is now my favorite gigging cab because it cuts through so beautifully onstage and has amazing growl. Even though the Berg HT tweeters are beautifully smooth, there's something about the sound of treble coming from speaker that appeals to me. The NV610 probably isn't a good choice for those who want the modern pingy active bass tone. I like bright bass tone -- I own some modern-sounding active basses, and slap on occasion -- but the NV610 reproduces the highs I want and rolls off those that are unusable to me. One neat thing is that I can goose the Drive on my SABDDI and it sounds great through the NV610, whereas that same tone through a tweetered cab usually sounds buzzy without tweeter/EQ adjustments.

P.S. I play five string through my NV610 and all the notes growl just fine, even those below E.
  12. BPotyk
    Sounds like Ken (thanks again Fuzzbass) summed it up quite well in answer to your question. I also have had the bigger Berg HT cabs and he is on the money. As far as more balanced, I would say yes and the bass sound is reproduced beatifully. In all honesty I have not A/B'd a SVT and NV610, in fact I've only played through and SVT once for a couple songs. It was nice but from what I remember the Bergie was the right choice for me. Anyway I would never have bought the Ampeg because of it's size. The NV610 is actually a breeze to move around even for an old geezer like me.
  13. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Something else worth mentioning...the Berg would be a superb match for a tube head because it's sealed.
  14. Thanks again for the info. I think if the taxman delivers my money on friday I'm austin bound to pick up a NV610.
    Thanks again for the input,