1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bergs vs Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QuadX, Mar 8, 2010.

1. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Ok Guys, here's my situation...

About my playing:
    I play every almost every venue. I play churches, arenas, coffee shops, out door gigs, bars, etc... I play any style from acoustic to hard rock.

My setup:
    My current setup is 2x Bergantino HS410 powered by a Genz Benz GBE1200 1200w.

The Issue:
    My rig holds up on its own. Rarely do I think its not enough power. But, I don't have a roadie. With church and coffee shop gigs, the GBE1200 and HS410 is more than enough and weighs a ton. The real issue is weight. I am only 25 and have already had back surgery and a couple sets of injections. I would like to preserve my back as long as possible while minimizing sacrifice in sound. Hauling at least an HS410 and a massive amp is quickly taking its toll.

Example Solution:
    I recently read an article in Bass Player mag about Incubus bass play Ben Kenney's rig. He plays out of two 1x12 Mesa Walkabout combos with two 1x12 extension cabs. Essentially he has a highly modular 4x12 setup. It is also fairly light weight since the walkabout's are neo drivers.

Conclusion:
    So, my question after all the background is this: Would the Ben Kenney setup be a minimally compromised solution to my current rig? Could a modular 4x12 solution hold up against my current 2x 4x10 rig? Also, what are possible solutions that my fellow TB's can come up with?

2. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    IMO, you have a great sounding rig. Why not pick up a HS210 to use with the GB for smaller gigs? Same sound, smaller rig. Your'e really going to miss those HS410s on the bigger outdoor gigs... those are great cabs!

3. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    or try the Berg AE, not the same sound mind you, but quite a bit less weight

4. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have a GBE1200 .. Sounds great. But i use my Genz shuttle MAx12 now..
    and i go modular with multiple 1x12s.
    I was using aggy GS112s x 4 when i have a crew and when by myself i bring 2 GS112s or 2 DB112s with the shuttle head and call it a day.
    I too have serios back problems so i feel ya.
    BErg also has some nice 1x12s and with a lightweight head its done

5. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So out of curiosity, why GS112's over 1x12 Walkabout's?

6. thats just a matter of two combo amps with extension cabs vs one head with 4 cabs

7. The Walkabout has a beautiful tone. With TWO combos and TWO extension cabs you are talking serious volume.

I sold my HS410...although it was fantastic, it was QUITE me...I couldnt put me finger on it. Very good cabinet, well made, loud, etc.....but...hmm.

Another option?

TC Elec RH450 + RS210 x 2 or RS212 x 2 or mix n match the cabinets. These amps are SERIOUSLY good...I didnt believe the hype then I tried one out and it was brilliant. I then bought one hahah.

8. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi Quadx
    There are a bunch of good choices if you going to down size with both amp and cab.

Medium size amps.
    Markbass TA501, SD1200, MoMark
    Mesa M6 or M9 both 2ohm stable.
    Carvin B1500 used, B2000, BX1200 etc. also 2ohm stable
    Thunderfunk 550's, 750
    Lots more...

Mini amps
    Markbass LMIII, LM series more .. go to the site.
    TC Electronics Classic, RH450, Staccato
    Genz Benz Shuttles
    Carvin, EA, and more...

Cab:
    Bergantino, Aguilar, Epifani, TC Elec, Avatar, Genz, etc., etc.

You should do some searches here on TB, tons of info.

My personal recommendation for cab is Bergantino.
    I'm currently using Berg AE210 and HS210.
    Right now my amp of choice is a TC Electronics RH450 and a Aguilar DB750 for bigger gigs.

9. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Awesome, thanks Musicman20 for you other option input...

Any other contenders for his suggestion on Modular TC Elec design?

10. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    Definitely check out the TC gear.

11. QuadX

QuadX

Feb 6, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So what is the difference between the RH450 and the Staccato'51?

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    and you'll miss the HUGE headroom you have. Get some smaller Bergs - the HT 112'ER's are amazing. For most gigs, two of those and that amp you have would be devastating.

Liked the Walkabouts initially...but severe lack of headroom, no midrange punch, and that passive radiator works well in some situations, but creates HUGE uncontrollable BOOM in others, and absolutely NO way to shut it off, except by lifting the cabs off the floor, and when you do that with the Walkabout, you will get the most anaemic, wimpy sound imaginable.

And they're NOT really that light...

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Well you are looking for a modular solution....as i was. i also mentioned Bergantino cabs in my post. Any pair of 1x12s will kill in many situations.

Since you like the bergy tone of which is quite nice IMO.
    And you seem to like the gbe1200 too.

I was explaining my system when i went modular, hence the reference to my gs cabs but now replaced by DB cabs. Hope that clears it up.

Walkabout/Scouts sound great when on the floor. Can cause issues in some but few situations with the PR down firing driver. Its a great sounding amp but you have way more headroom as the above poster pointed out by using your current head.

14. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    Already some good points mentioned, and sounds like you have a killer rig.....on the ears and on the back too :D

my thoughts.....try a neo like the Berg AE410, great cab but will have a different attack and feel vs the HS410; different personality; but still Berg quality and punch......again HS vs AE...similarities but yet differences
    might also try 2x210 cabs...

otherwise, do try the Berg 1x12 cabs AE112, HT112ER, and maybe an IP112ER with a good pre-amp....
    I think 2x112 cabs will get reasonably close to what a single 410 can handle, but maybe not quite equal.....

listen to all potential contenders, but if you appreciate the Bergs, keep Jim's other offerings in mind in the process

something else to would mention......in addition to getting the most out of a rig like 2x112 cabs, etc
    I also like the gramma pads under these cabs (ie HT112ER) in some settings....brings out the focus and natural voicing that otherwise can get somewhat lost in bad coupling environments....not just the Bergs,

I find this especially helpful with cabs that can have a big low end......which sounds good, but which some environments deem some natural control, but not necessarily eq cut.
    of course this depends alot on the environment

and do try MB and TC stuff for other head options....

15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm recovering from a herniated disc(which resulted in sciatica), so I understand your issue.
    If you want to keep the same sound & feel that your getting from your GB/Berg tens rig, my suggestion is to get four 2x10" neo Bergs. Then get a cart for it all. The 12's just aren't the same as tens.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I'm also looking for a new rig.

I've been thinking hard, about a Walkabout 1x12 combo, with extension cab.
    Or maybe a Walkabout head, with two extension cabs?

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I don't think there's anything light about a Walkabout Scout combo. I was tempted to get one, but they are heavy - IMO.

18. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Including the tone...:cool:

19. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I agree I have 2 of the 112ER's and a HS410 to compare it too. You are not going to lose much if anything going with the 2 12's.

Lex

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think 4 1x12's is gonna compete with 2xHS410's

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020