Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

berhingers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by [csp]fortyniner, Sep 6, 2004.

1. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    i need a cheap amp that will still be loud the utrabass bx1200 looks pretty good does anyone know if this is a bad amp or not?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I liked it. It's a pretty cool amp, especially for it's size and weight. It does pack a punch, too. I would reccomend it myself.

3. I used a Berhinger at a band practice a while back as a hired amp and I was really surprised by how good it sounded - and having learned to loath Trace Elliott (familiarity breads contempt etc) I have to say that I'd take a decent Berhringer over another Trace anyday - but I play EBS now so I don't have to do that too often any more.

M

4. i osn the 1200 combo amp and it is lright at low/medium volumes but when cranked it sounds like total crap!!!!!

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought one for home practice and band rehearsals which are conducted at lower volume. It's not a high-end boutique amp, so I don't expect "tone to die for" or tremendous amount of headroom. It does the job for what I use it for. The tone and volume is fine if you stay within the limitations of what the amp was intended for. So, I wouldn't take it to a gig/practice that I'd actually need a 4X10 cab for.

If you do a search, you'll find previous threads on this amp and a commentary on the optimistic power rating due to it coming from Europe where perhaps standards are different. I've never measured it, but I think that the amp's actual RMS power might be less than what's stated on the specs.

Just a few of my humble opinions, I hope this helps a bit.

6. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    i have bx 600 combo its good amp but when i play music man on it it distors a little when i pul e string harder.
    bx 1200 is crap but if u are mad slaper u will like it.
    first i want bx 1200 than i tried it and i like bx 600 more.
    spend a little more money and buy ureself ashdown or GK or hartke kick back.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1.

My "gig rig" is a Mesa M-Pulse 600, powering an Aguilar GS112 and an Aguilar GS210-nice stuff! Having said that, my daily practice/rehearsal amp is my Behringer BX1200. I love the fact that I can put my Rio CD/MP3 player through it and practice through headphones. I live in a condo, so I don't want to annoy the neighbors. My band consists of a guitarist, me on bass and a heavy handed drummer. We practice/rehearse at 3/4 to 1/2 "gig volume." My Behringer BX1200 has no problems keeping up, although there's not much headroom available. The basses I've played through it are Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 4 (passive), Lakland Skyline 44-01 fretless (active), Pedulla Thunderbolt 4 (active) and Pedulla Buzz 4 (active). I've owned the BX1200 for almost two years. I practice through it for at least an hour or two every day and rehearse once a week. It's a workhorse. Disclaimer: YMMV! :D