Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berkelee?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Mar 6, 2003.

1. 1. Has anybody here attending Berkelee?

1a. Is it hard to get in? Requirements?

1b. How hard was it?

2. Is anybody here planning to attend Berkelee?

3. Do you know of ways to get a scholarship?

Thanks. :)

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    1. Yes
    2.no,Play the best you can
    3.to get in? easy.stay in? not as easy;)
    4.?
    5.contact thier finacial aid department

AJ

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I attended Berklee a few years back.

1. It is not hard to get in. The first time I applied, I had to take an audition, but I do not think you have to do that anymore.

1b. The hard part is staying once you get in. Keeping up your grades, practicing, etc.
    But it is a great enviorment. You are surrounded by people who have the same obsession with music.

3. As for a scholarship, you should contact the admissions office and they will let you know the requirements. If I remember correctly, you have to submit a tape of your playing and some letters of reference. (ie. a teacher, any other education.)
    I also think you have to play for some of the faculty to be evaluated for a scholarship. I do not remember the exact requirements, but it was something to that extent. It could have changed because I last attended there in the early-mid 90's.

Hope this helps
    Dave

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Man, what a great thread!

We should have a forum just for questions related to education.

Here's a crazy idea: Maybe this thread will fit in "General Instruction".

It's crazy enough to work

Giddoutahyah!:D

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If you have to ask this question, it's too hard.

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Exactly. Preach jazzbo.

7. How the hell should I know? I've never been there!

Anyway :rolleyes:

Other than playing, how much music theory do you have to know?

I mean, Modes..that's just common sense. But other than that?

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Its really easy to get in.

Just get with a teacher and have a good letter of recomendation. I you apply as a degree student they dont even look at sat's.

Really you have to know squat.

To stay in on the other hand, there is a reason why it has over 60 percent freshman drop out rate. Yes part of it is that they let any one in.

AJ

9. Wow, this is interesting. Of course, not EVERY great bassist was a genius (in school, i mean), so it's good that they let practically everybody in. :D

How much does the tuition cost per year?

10. Okay one more question then, what do they teach you there?

I mean music theory, duh. But I mean, really, what goes on?

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    They try to teach you how to become a well rounded musician who plays bass and who can function in a professional situation.

Dude its music school your going to get out of it what you put into it.

One of the big things is that its extremely diverse sure thier gonna make you play over changes but they have a ensemble for pretty much any style you may want exposure in playing.

AJ

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I always remember what Ed said about this - the people who came out of Berklee as great musicians, also went into Berklee as great musicians!! ;)

13. If you go there, do they make you take English, History, Math, etc, too? Or can you just take music?

If not, can you pay for JUST the music class, and not really be enrolled as a full time student?

Like..hold a part time job..do gigs...but head to Berklee 2/3 times a week for music class?

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Garret, you seriously need to go visit that link. Spend a lot of time reading about the campus, curriculum, faculty, facilities, program and everything else they have there. They'll provide you some great information that you can't get here.

16. Yeah, I just found that link yesterday.