1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berklee Audition ideas? (DB)

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Jazzkuma, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Hello
    I play jazz double bass and I have a Berklee audition in December this year, so as some of you might know they ask me to do certain things but only one of them I am concerned about... the prepared piece. I need some ideas, I still got a lot of time so any idea no matter how hard it is to play would be good since im taking all of this time to concentrate on my audition. So I really dont know where to start... transcribe a solo from Parker, Coltrane...etc, make an arrangement of a standard, play a bass solo (harmonizing)...etc. Some ideas would be good, I have about 7 years playing the bass so really with this amount of time left whatever that will make me look best is fine cuz I got the time to polish it.
    Thanks

2. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    Berklee is a school that teaches "modern" music, so try to loosely apply the term modern to your audition. I would try to learn something by christian mcbride.

3. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    something you know well already and could just nail beautifully

4. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Well really the thing is that I got a lot of time to work on a piece, so I really want to nail the prepared piece to try and get the scholarship. I was thinking since yesterday I could do an arrangement of a standard like beautiful love or autumn leaves into a solo bass with folk rhythms (Im from peru so peruvian folk music would be it). You know it could be interesting idea... but im still not sure.

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    ...if you use the search function you can find numerous posts pertaining to your question.

6. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    dude you are frome peru?
    OMG me too!!

7. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Rly? thats cool, do you play somewer? I might know you.

8. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    well i play in a local pop punk band(why did i ever enter in the DB forum?) so i doubt you know me since you are DB player, but anyways my band is called trikolor, we just formed 5 months ago, i live in lima

great to see i am not the only peruvian in TB

9. Soulfishing13

Soulfishing13

Jul 23, 2008
    South Salem, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    hey the key is to not do something that they expect, i went in to do some bach cello suites, and they told me they've heard enough of those and to not even bother, luckily (im electric) I just did frankenstein by Marcus Miller and that was different and stood out from the norm, and now I'm going into my 3rd semester here, also be loose, I really think personality matters to them, best of luck!