1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Berklee Audition

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MMEBBAE, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MMEBBAE

MMEBBAE

Feb 17, 2012
    So next week I have my audition for Berklee College of Music for bass. I'm planning to pursue a degree in performance. So far the requirements for the audition aren't too bad, but honestly I'm a little bit nervous for it. I've been playing for about three years now. I've been learning how to read music, some of the different styles(blues, samba, bossa, bebop, walking), and been getting instructed through lessons for a while now. My instructor has been getting me ready by analyzing chord melodies, and what notes certain chords are made from. Has anyone applied there, or have any tips for me.

2. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I haven't auditioned there, but have auditioned plenty. Requirements differ, just make sure you are hitting their requirements and that you are comfortable with them. You will be nervous and that's ok, just know you will be and don't try anything new. Better to nail standard requirements than to jump off a cliff without a parachute!
    Best of luck and have a blast!

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    2009 graduate here. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    What are the requirements? Just curious.

I guess I would suggest that you perform your musical pieces in front of some people, not just your instructor, if you aren't used to public performances. It's different performing all by yourself. No band. No audience. No special lighting. A small panel of judges looking only at you.
    I don't know if it's like a large group of musicians who perform their auditions back to back. If so, don't get psyched out if you hear another musician who plays like a Victor Wooten solo note-for-note in a hallway to warm-up... it might make you think that your audition piece is the technical equivalent of 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'. It's not but you might think it.

5. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    I auditioned 2 years ago

I suggest you work on your prepared piece the most. They want to see how creative/technical you are. I think the reading, ear training and improvising parts are also important but not as much. Many students here can't read, some can't improv and some are bad at ear training when they first begin. So that leads me to think the prepared piece is they key. You should still work on the other stuff though.
    And I recommend you dress professionally and print enough copies of music for the audition team.