1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Berklee Bass Department Chair - Steve Bailey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
  2. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Great that Steve will chair at Berklee. He'll be great!

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Indeed. The fretless surfer has great technique, a broad understanding and deep knowledge of music, plenty of heart, a good sense of humor, and the ability to articulate it all.
    Good choice, Berklee.

4. I'm sure he's a cool dude and a good educator but not a guy I'd want lessons with.

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Its less of a giving lessons role, and more of a director role. I think Rich Appleman was one of the nicest and most well thought out bass teachers I had. I think less traditional bass ideology will be introduced into Berklee. Jim Stinnett, Anthony Vitti, Danny Mo, Oscar Stagnaro, Fernando Huergo, are the guys you want lessons from :)

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Wow... didn't see that coming.

Bailey could be quite good for Berklee...but I'll bet on his first day at work Whit Brown & John Repucci drag him into the men's room, give him a good beat-down, and let him know what's what. :)

7. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Yeah, an interesting choice for sure. One good thing that comes of it - we should be seeing a lot more Steve Bailey gigs here in the Boston area

:hyper:

8. fretlesssurfer

fretlesssurfer

Nov 21, 2005
    We have an amazing faculty here at Berklee and there are great profs in almost all styles. Berklee is not traditional, and never has been. That is one of the hallmarks of its success.

Rich Appleman guided the department into what it is; THE largest, most successful bass department in the World. He didn't do it by himself. John Repucci has been there 40 years, and many of the faculty have been there almost as long.
    In my humble opinion there were less than a handful of people in the world that could step into Rich's shoes, understanding the magnitude and depth of the department, and with enough confidence to guide its evolution. Many applied for the job, and any one of the 5 finalists could have slid into Rich's shoes.... comfortably.
    Somehow I was the "last guy standing". It is a huge responsibility that I do not take lightly. I would suggest, rather than predicting and speculating, that you sit back and watch what happens.
    Victor Bailey and John Patitucci have just come on board. Both "innovative traditionalists"!! Making our great faculty, even greater.
    Keep your eye on the ball...if you can. sb

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Those are certainly some heavy hitters to add to the department and you've got old school bass gurus like Whit Brown and Bruce Gertz to hold down the traditional end, great guys like Danny Mo and Anthony Vitti who have such string academic and analytic prowess and guys like Lenny Stallworth who are just certified badasses (played in a local GB band with Lenny for a few years and I stuck to telecaster 100% when he was on the bandstand, i can assure you- he has never even heard me pick up a bass!).

Plus, you have young Tommy Appleman coming up through the ranks- Rich's son. The force is string with this young padawan!

Best of luck, Steve, great gig.

10. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Wow. Really interested to know what kind of role John Pattitucci will be playing at Berklee. Him being regular faculty would make me come back to school there.

11. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    I could not agree more with the overall sentiment expressed by the others. The bass department under Rich's direction was one of the strongest programs anywhere. And now with Steve, Victor and John added, my goodness where else would a gifted player go.

12. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Cool news. Congratulations, Steve. I wish I would have made better use of the faculty while I was there. Now that I'm into playing again I'm even more jealous of those currently attending.

13. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings
    Steve Bailey is the greatest bass educator out there in my opinion. Berklee will greatly benefit from his presence!

14. I would be curious to know who the five finalists were. I studied mostly with Oscar at Berklee, great guy!

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Congrats, I would have loved to go to berklee.

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Congrats to you Steve Bailey. You will be a great asset to Berklee.
    See you in Concord NH with Victa on Nov.3

17. Anthony Vitti

Anthony Vitti Fender Bass! - Professor Berklee College of Music

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm new to this but I thought I would jump in and let you know that the bass department is as strong as ever. Steve has stepped in and is making some great changes and has added some great faculty members. I hope we will see some of you at the college.

AV