1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berklee Certificates

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Visirale, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm currently enrolled in a bass performance major and I'm working on that. I'm also getting into the Reason software. I don't want to half-ass it... I really want to get into production using Reason... It's such a powerful tool. So much in one application. I was looking at Berklee's certificate program in Music Production using Reason. I am really interested in taking it (online classes) but I was wondering if it was worth it. I don't plan on being a professional bass player but rather I want to be involved with music synthesis and production. I don't know how much of a future there is in this, but I really want to try it out. Are these certificates regarded as highly as other things attached to the Berklee name? It's 9 grand for 2 years and 24 credits worth of courses. I think if I did it all I'd be a Reason machine... but I'm not sure what that means in the industry, haha.

Your opinions?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I've never had anyone ever ask to see my certificate to get a gig, and it has been many years. I think the name Berklee is maybe enough to at least get people to listen to your work though. Being a former student I hate to say it but, save the 9k get a serious machine and sound card and teach yourself. Oh yeah one last thing, I would suggest getting into Protools if you are looking to do any recording. Reason is powerful but how many times do you see an ad in the paper for a Reason operator? Well for that matter Protools but hopefully you see my point.

That's just my opinion.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    $9000 to learn Reason? Please. For one thing, Reason is easy to learn. For another thing, if you're interested in music synthesis, you're probably going to find yourself using Digital Performer and Logic just as much as Reason, maybe more. Reason is amazing for writing music, but it's not good for certain things, because it's not a traditional midi sequencer at all.

I'd take that money and buy a dope-nasty computer and a bunch of software and start crackin' on it. I'm a Berklee student and they do a pretty good job of scamming people out of money.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I've no idea about the specific program - it could be very good. However from my experience teaching computer graphics (which is similar in many respects - art powered by some serious technology), alarm bells go off in my head when ever I see a particular software package in a course title, or even in the course syllabus (unless its something like a 1 week training course).

"Music Production using Reason" is a course I would look dimmley upon. By all means run "Digital Music Production", and in the syllabus say you'll be covering digital recording techniques. At some point in the fine print you should probably mention that right now the schools package of choice is Reason - of course you need to actually learn a tool, but that should't be so tightly built into the course that it makes it into the title. The package shouldn't be built into the course at all - it they decide to switch to Logic next year, then the course shouldn't need modifying IF IT'S A SOLID COURSE.

A good course would teach you about the bigger concepts that trancend the package. You might be using Reason for the course, but if you happen to end up sitting at a machine with Logic on it after you leave, a good course will give you the skills to get up to speed in a few days.

When the package gets into the course title, then TRANSFERABLE SKILLLS get lost - those are the things that are going to get you a job in 10 or 20 years when Reason is a distant memory. The good recording engineers knew about recording sound - digital came along, and they hopped the fence with barely a stumble. They didn't study "Music Production using 1/2" Tape" - why would you study a particular package now.

Ian

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Other things attached to the Berklee name are regarded highly?

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Haha thanks guys. Good advice, and now that I think about it it makes a lot of sense. Any reccomendations on a good desktop to start working with? I presume apple is preferred in the music world... so I was thinking an iMac. I have a windows laptop right now, and although it's pretty powerful, I think a desktop would be better for these applications.

And how do I go about just starting learning the software? I've started with tweaking the different parameters of the devices in the demo song... I need to hook up my midi controller before I can start my own stuff. Other software to look at?

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Theres a series of reason vids, i think theyre like $15 each. Money better spent. Get a quad core mac, max it out with ram and youll have a good platform there. Get a real synth too, like one of the new dave smith ones. You'll learn more from reason fumbling through it than you would being taught it. Its a cool program, but there are cooler.

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well I did some work and I think I landed an internship at a local studio. I'll be learning a lot more real world applicable knowledge for free, and my internship will look better. I'll learn reason on my own and get taught Cubase on the job. Now I just need to save and get a good computer.

If I go apple, is quad-core really necessary? The iMac alone seems good for the price...

9. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    MUCH much better idea. I just said that cuz you acted like you had several grand to throw down on classes, i was just suggesting the best. I think Imac are OK. I think they have decent processing power, but no cardslots bother me. I think for the money youd be better of building a windows machine. More and more studios are moving over to windows. I dont think its ever going to completely take over mac. Like 10 years ago all studios were Mac, now its more likt 50/50. Theres advantage to both.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Ah ok, that makes sense. I was thinking about buidling a windows computer since it seems to be more bang for the buck. Guess I'll start speccing that out...