Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berklee College of Music preparation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jan 25, 2003.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey,
    I'm going to be attending Berklee College of Music in ~ 2 years and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stuff to work on?
    I've been workin on my sight reading somewhat and that needs to come up a lot because my lessons were mostly all ear training. But anything else?
    Also, I will be doing the World scholarship tour (that means a live audition..-yikes! nervous already), anybody have any tips for stuff to work on for the audition?
    Thanks,
    I LOVE BASS
    chris

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It might be a good idea to learn the basics of different styles of music. Don't just go there prepared to play only rock or country basslines. Learn to do at least a basic walking line, some Latin grooves such as salsa, meregue, bossa nova. Learn some reggae. Learn some funk, some rockabilly, some common blues bassline patterns.

Most definitely have a clear understanding of the twelve bar blues form. Know your chords. Know scales. Know how to harmonize the major scale because that will give you a good basis for more complex theory. Learn what the Circle of Fifths is.

If you have time, get at least an introduction to piano or keyboard because if Berklee is anything like many music programs, you will have to learn to play piano at a beginner's level anyway as part of your music curriculum.

Know your fretboard. Be able to name the note at any fret on any string. Know which frets have two note names such as G#/A b.

That may sound like a big burden, but you have plenty of time which is really in your favor. By the way, get really serious about the sight reading. And good luck. Going to Berklee can only be a tremendous experience. Some TalkBassers have attened Berklee. I hope they read your post and will advise you.

3. also be prepared to laugh at the joke:

"why do they call it free jazz?"
    "because noone is going to pay to listen to it"

they like that one ;)