1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berklee College of Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Andy Atwill

Andy Atwill

Sep 9, 2019
    NZ
    You really only have to look at who teaches in the bass faculty there.
    You will be hard-pressed to find better exponents of an art-form or instrument than in the bass faculty.

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Holy crap, Whit freakin' Browne! How are you man? I studied with you in 1981 ...or maybe 82? (Graduated in '82, but can't remember the last year I took bass lessons.) Glad to see you're still dishing out the intel.

Ed Fuqua likes this.
  3. My brother went to Berklee. He is a professional musician who will probably never pay off the student loans he had to take out to go there. If you can pay for it outright - by all means - go for it. But if you expect to pay off student loans as a professional musician, think again! BTW, the education my brother got at Berklee was top notch and he got to study with some of his heros.

4. Andy Atwill

Andy Atwill

Sep 9, 2019
    NZ
    As I have grown older and hopefully wiser, I have found that the experiences and memories I gain have no dollar value on them. Nobody knows what is around the corner, a bus, a lottery win, as in a windfall or devastation.
    Our life is what we make of it. I figure if it is a new experience and it supplies priceless memories, therein is the point, there is no price tag.
    Cheers.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  5. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm guessing you don't have any outstanding student debts. Mounting student debt is a serious problem for a lot of people and I can assure you, they can indeed put a price tag on their experience at school. ;)

6. Andy Atwill

Andy Atwill

Sep 9, 2019
    NZ

I did have - My children are heading towards 30 respectively, so I am possibly older than you? I do not know.
    YES - It is hard but as I mentioned, in terms of what I gained from it, I would not change a thing.

The things that are more difficult often turn out to be what we appreciate most. :)

emjazz likes this.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, number one, I'm surprised you didn't talk with Bruce Saunders, since he LIVES in Austin AND teaches at Berklee. But, oh, well, missed opportunity.
    You don't need to go to music school (or really know much about music) to make a living at it, all you have to do is be willing to do whatever it takes in your market to get gigs and if that's just singing along with a portable karaoke machine, that's what you do. And teach and rent instruments and everything everyone else in Podunk does to make a living. I was at Berklee in 81 and 82 and I should have just saved my money and moved to NYC; there was more opportunity in the city then and I (hopefully) would have found the private teacher that I ended up spending 14 years with, Joe Solomon. If it's CONNECTIONS you want, to move to a large metropolis, find a great teacher, and start playing sessions with anybody who'll have you. If it's a degree, then find the cheapest school, with a good faculty, and go there. But figure out what YOU want to do; is it play engaging music with people you want to play with? Or is it to make a living playing music?
    Because the folks who get to do both, live at the small, sharp, pointy end of the pyramid. And, before the noise to signal ratio got to be so bad with all of these "self=produced" independent releases, were on those records we all wore out listening to...

Joshua, Spin Doctor and emjazz like this.
  8. I have a friend whose daughter wanted to go to Berklee. She's a hugely talented musician and has been all her life. Both her parents are pro musicians, but her Dad, got out of it and got a degree in IT. Anyway, when Berklee wasn't willing to give a scholarship and once they figured the basic cost of tuition and books was about $65,000 per year, they nixed the idea.

Love of music is great, but the reality is that there is no way a music degree is worth over a quarter of a million dollars. I know a local guitarist who went there and he plays the same places I do. But he does have hustle, so he's been hitting the road and making his own opportunities traveling the country.

But as Ed said, you don't need Berklee to do that.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ed nailed it. I will say that my time at Berklee made the move to NYC MUCH easier, but I could do without the debt that I can't pay off while I live in NYC. School and the cost of living prohibits the majority of us to be artists without a great cost, one way or the other. Choose which struggle you want to bear.