1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Berklee online bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ric Fish, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Dec 27, 2010
    My dream has been to go to Berklee for bass, but I have never been confident enough/ rich enough to do it. I have been recently looking at the online programs they offer and am really tempted to give it a shot, but I am not all that knowledgable about theory and I'm much better with learning in person rather than reading. For these reasons, I'm hesitant to make the commitment. Any suggestions or comments? Anyone who has completed an online Berklee program?

2. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    I did a studio recording online class a while ago. It wasn't very good. You will be reading off the webpage a lot and if its a class with many students you won't be able to learn a lot since everyone is at different levels.

Im at berklee right now and I suggest the college itself but not the online classes. If you want to take online classes I would rather go to Scott Devine, Janek Gwizdala or Tony Grey... there are a bunch of people who give classes and are more personal.

Don't be afraid to audition to Berklee, some people here got in with a scholarship and didn't know anything about theory or did not ready anything... you might just get some luck in your audition. If you still have time to improve and learn some theory do so by practicing and buying a theory book (Levine's theory book is the best) and then audition for a scholarship.

3. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Dec 27, 2010
    See, another problem (I forgot to mention) is that I have a family i have to take care of...I can't uproot and go off to college in Boston. Unfortunately, online is my only option at this point in my life. Thanks for the advice, however! I will take a look at the other classes you suggested.

4. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    I've done many classes in Berklee online, I'm in Producing with Logic now. Earlier this year I took Performance 101. It is challenging, the dude who teaches it is D'mo, and he really cares about his students. The online classes are very much like real college classes in many ways, one specifically, you get what you put in. I did not know much when I started, so the class was really challenging for me. Did I learn alot? Well my exposure level went up by about a factor of ten. Bass isn't something you are going to get better at automagically, yes? So, the classes are, well the classes themselves are laid out really well, some of the videos are less than stellar. The class I was in had 10 or so students, and they were all WAY more proficient than me, and in my opinion they all struggled with much of the material. It is also set up where there are some sections of a lesson for the advanced group. The class will be accessible for a year after you complete it, so I'm currently going back through the class and those parts specifically. Sweet! We talked about so much, so quick, chromatic, diatonic, theory, etc, etc. Also, these people take this seriously, take you seriously, this is not at least to them, some fly by night crap training. However, they will engage you where you are, and will expect you to be moving higher. D'mo grades VERY lightly. He will support you as you move through his course, not completely, and only if he sees you are doing your best. I played for hours, and hours, and hours, to get some of the stuff done. Hours. These classes will challenge you. The second class I took was R&B, also taught by D'mo. This was really a great class. We looked at all the greats Duck, Babbit, Carol Kay, Jermott, and of course Jamerson. We started at the very beginning and worked forward. If you have any other questions just let me know.

5. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Dec 27, 2010
    Definitely sounds like I'll need the TIME to do this if I want to do it right. It sounds great though. I was able to look at the sample course and it did seem challenging, but I really would like to be challenged so I can advance. Thanks for the info and advice!

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The online lessons with someone would be a better choice. I'd also suggest Jeff Berlin as he's giving online lessons now.

7. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    The thing with the classes is there are a few pieces you are working on at the same time. You are recording so you have to get to be able to play metronomic time, and get comfortable with the recording process. If you have taken the courses then you know their value if you are sitting on the sidelines, and pronouncing judgement based on opinion then that is exactly what it is. I have seen the number of people who are taking these classes, folks who are REALLY good, and fairly established, so clearly they are worth the time and effort. Not saying online classes aren't great too.

8. Duce-hands

Duce-hands

Nov 4, 2010
    Did you decide to take the course? I'm in the same position as you(job, family, etc) so this would be perfect for me IF it is something that in structured, challenging and comprehensive. Any additional feedback?

9. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm in a lyrics writing class right now. And like all the rest of the Berklee courses, this one is solid too. Due to the course type, there are books to study in addition to online assignments. Already, my poetry skills are morphing into more interesting song lines. Got to love Berklee.

10. id try out bootsy's funk U first and get as mcuh as possible out of that (and personal lessons, books, youtube lessons etc). if those low-budget ressources are depleted (which will probably never happen) then im going to take those online courses

11. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Dec 27, 2010
    I haven't taken it yet, I'm going to wait until next year because I am in college at the time and I graduate in may. I'm trying not to take on too much at once...because I often do that. I am still deciding whether or not it would be a good idea for me.

12. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    It is. Although "challenging" is relative and will depend on your current level.

13. Do you take lessons now?
    Is money no object?
    Could you commute?
    Is there a specific teacher you want to study with?

From the Berklee College (or is it School of Music) website:
    REQUIRED CHARGES
    Tuition $35,450 $30,564
    Fees $1,040 $1,040
    OPTIONAL CHARGES
    Room and Board $16,950 $16,950
    Health Insurance $1,960 $1,960
    Laptop $3,172 $3,172
    INDIRECT COSTS
    Books $474 $474
    Transportation $967 $967
    Personal Expenses $2,250 $2,250
    Loan Fees $56 $56

Total $62,319 $57,433

Thats for 30 weeks of instruction. Then what?? :meh:

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    That's about $250,000 for a 4 year degree.
    Most of the Berklee grads I know end up teaching at college level to make a living.

15. That’s 4 years... the 4 year graduation rate at Berklee College/School(?) is 37%, and 50% after 5 years, and 52% after six. That is very low in the academic world.

It’s extremely rare for a musician to land a full time, tenure track position anywhere with just a Bachelors degree. Adjuncts DO abound on a piecemeal basis.

By the way, if you're in Boston, Harvard's tuition is just $2,000 more, but don't forget to submit your SATS. :smug:

16. Ric Fish

Ric Fish

Dec 27, 2010
    Which is why I only wanna take one class at A time online...I may only take one. Who knows. I already specified earlier that I cannot commute or go to the school which is why the online program is of interest. I know, the money is insane!

17. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, people balk and point at the cost of Berklee, yet, just like every other highly unlikely life pursuit, success stories are to be found. Something to do I guess. Anyway, you are right to think about the online classes, they are solid.