Berklee Online Courses

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Berklee Online offers a certificate in bass but also loads of courses in arranging, theory, ear training, and jazz composition. I am mostly interested in the jazz theory, arrangements, and composition courses--though I do not have a particular certificate in mind.

Has anyone completed any of these courses? And did you find them rigorous and worth the money?

Thanks for the input.

2. I've got the same question. They cost plenty. I've taken online courses (not Berklee) that were very good but not real hard core courses - just general discussions on theory, musicology, etc.

What I know from online courses I've taken for work (programming, not music) is that you need to have a good comfortable work environment set up for that sort of thing, or you'll get nowhere fast. I also know that I'm never too comfortable sitting in front of a computer and learning - maybe because I don't have a good set up for that over here.

I tend to think the money might be better spent on a good personal teacher or live college course. (Yes, usually more expensive, but you'll learn it better.) I take lessons from a jazz pro and I read books. Somehow I don't find the online thing so attractive.

3. LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    I am generally okay with taking courses online. I am only hoping the Berklee courses are sufficiently rigorous--at the same level actual Berklee students are taught.

4. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    Beware of the ones that require peer reviews. Sometimes the 'peers' don't actually read the assignment and start grading you down due to their lack of understanding. There are assignments that have several options, the 'peers' only read option 1 and lowered grades because of it.
    Overall the teachers/classes are great.

5. LaBassGuy

Aug 26, 2008
    What course(s) did you take, if I may ask?

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

BayingRidge likes this.
  7. Malcolm35

Malcolm35 Supporting Member

Way back I looked into a course. Everything is standard notation no tab. If you can cut SN go for it. They put out good stuff.