Berklee or L.A.?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LazyAssedLover, Dec 28, 2019.

1. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I went to MI when Gary Willis, Jeff Berlin, Scott Henderson, Tommy Tedesco, Frank Gambale, and Keith Wyatt were teaching there. It was a great experience for me and I don't regret it at all, but Berklee is a much more prestigious school. MI isn't even the best music program in Los Angeles. That would be USC, which has an excellent program.

Low84 likes this.
  2. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    It never hurts to have Berklee in your creds.

3. Has anyone addressed the weather at the two institutions?:cool:
    Coming from Austria, Boston will not be a shock but SoCal is, for most of the year a rather different beast;)

4. bass4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    The practice studios at MI didn't have windows.

DrMole and Lee Moses like this.
  5. Neither did ours at UMaine-less distractions and noise leakage, one supposes...

just that some people actually prefer a New England climate(me) yet most people really prefer that California Sunshine- which is pretty nice this time of year.:thumbsup:

bass4more likes this.
  6. bass4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I like them both. I also went to school in Vermont and am quite familiar with New England weather. SoCal weather is great, but I also like the change of seasons. No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices.

DrMole likes this.
  7. VT is home, even if not recently- prefer cool to hot (unpleasant here in the "northern south"- but people always mumble something about "Human resources" when I threaten to dress how I would be comfortable in the heat:rolleyes:

Back on track:
    The OP should consider as many factors as possible when making his final decision. I know for some, NE weather is a no-go.

Traffic in both cities is different but often equally atrocious.
    The educational experience should be of primary consideration but often enough external issues may tip the scale.

bass4more likes this.
  8. bass4more

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    VT is a great state. My dream is to retire there, but my SoCal wife is less enthused.

9. How about University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music? Closer to Nashville and I believe it has a pretty good rep?

But short of that....get a degree in a field that has a significant amount of known and available jobs. I guess a music degree would be great, but how many musicians did it without college?

12BitSlab likes this.
  10. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    If the O.P. ends up going to Berklee, he will probably not have a car. But the good thing is, you really don't need a car. Short walks and the "T" (subway) will get you pretty much everywhere you need to go in Boston.

11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Berklee. Two EEs, no Why.
    Julliard. Big J, little u

Davbassdude and Mike Whitfield like this.
  12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    And how long does a car last in Boston before it gets stolen?

13. OP, what is your goal? I’m a graduate of none of them but I have friends who’ve gone to many of the “known” schools and conservatories and the consensus is, “the harder you work the luckier you get.”

I believe that the character of the school you choose should reflect the work you want to do. MI is more about popular music, Berklee is more formal and the L.A. Conservatory is really formal, primarily for orchestral musicians.

14. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I will echo what other have said based on rubbing shoulders with many professional players, mostly jazz.

The really good ones that love their music are doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc. They play music as a hobby and are free to play or not play as they feel inclined. They are not chained to playing music and they don't have to hustle too much to make a good living.

The really good ones with only music degrees do not seem to enjoy it as much. They really have to hustle to make a decent wage. Teaching music is the usual primary source of income and that's not a great paying job.

Keep your options open.

I hope you go to music school. I did music school 2018 -2019 and really glad that I did. Cross another item off the bucket list. But I got called out of retirement to make way more money than any musicians I know.

Keep your options open. A music/engineering double major?

I worked in Germany. Some of what I say may not apply to your situation.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  15. d3mcgee

d3mcgee Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2017
    SANTA ROSA
    Best Bass Player I know IS SELF TAUGHT

16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    As someone who has done one, knows dozens more who have done both, and has been working as a session musician in LA for the last twelve years, here’s my honest opinion:

Attend MI for just a semester, and play/network your ass off.

Neither of those schools offer a musical education that’s even close to worth what they charge these days if your goal is to be a gigging musician.

The way you get working, and stay working, is by meeting and playing with other musicians, bands and artists.

If your goal is teaching or film scoring, that’s a different conversation; if your goal is to be in a successful original band, you should attend neither of those schools and study business instead.

Congrats on getting into both schools, and have fun on your new venture!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    The value of your education is dependent on how much debt you'll have versus how much you 'll be able to trade on that reputation of having attended there . If you put in the work and study hard - make connections and are not an a...hole in going about your business - it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference where you go . Berklee certainly has an excellent overall rep and could be a spring board to greater things - plus there are a multitude of opportunities to play around Boston and some of those may prove as valuable as any formal education you get there but attending Berklee is unlikely to hurt you . Eventually you will need to move to Nashville or LA or New York to really get somewhere as bands breaking out of Boston are few and far between . It has happened [see the Cars - Aerosmith and James Taylor } but it is a rarity . Berklee grads though are sprinkled thru out the music business and have often gone on to exceptional careers - I vote Berklee .... Kelly

18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
  19. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    I think MDbass put it really well - it depends on your goals and I would certainly listen to his advice about what you need to do to get to whatever your goal may be . I am old enough to know how the world works and who you know is often way more important than what you know . You need a certain competency level for sure but beyond that you benefit more from who you know than where you went to school . The reputation of your school is important for it's cache but that will only get you in the door - the rest is up to you .... Kelly

20. really hate faux-reality checks like this. i know plenty of folks who went to engineering school and are broke (myself included). OP got accepted to some pretty prestigious programs so might as well pursue this opportunity while it's there. there's plenty of time to be a miserable "coulda been" after taking their shot

only one of those schools is even remotely close to places where you can buy fried clam bellies

LukeSlywalker and corinpills like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021