Berklee or L.A.?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LazyAssedLover, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    From his posts, I'm guessing that the O.P. wants to focus on electric. Not sure if USC offers that as a principal.

2. TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jun 6, 2015
    Austin
    Man, to have to choose between Boston and LA; I wouldn't wish that on my enemies. :D

Before making your decision, do some research into cost of living and transportation. Both cities are notoriously expensive and difficult to commute. If all things were equal on that front, then Berklee would be the tie-breaker.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I enjoy playing with Berklee kids more than M.I. kids , in a very broad stroke, in my experiences.

DrMole likes this.
  4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Is this an accurate statement??
    Thanks.

5. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    If you're coming over without a car, I would say Berklee. You can exist and be out and about socially in Boston very easily car-free. There's public transit, and it's very walkable.

In LA, you're gonna need wheels.

We've had Berklee guys come through the band as subs. All wicked smart and talented. Now they're worldwide.

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It varies whether you're on campus or off campus and if you're pursuing a degree or diploma. It can be higher or a little lower, but your "savings" will be on the order of not much. Suddenly Sadowsky in-stock four string #8332 doesn't seem that expensive.

Cost of Attendance for 2019–2020 | Berklee College of Music

DrMole, IamGroot and Don Kasper like this.
  7. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    Congratulations!!!! I have gigged with many Berklee Grads. They were all awesome in their own way. Graduating from that school tell your prospective employers that you got IT! That degree holds weight.

Mike Whitfield and Bob_Ross like this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Not sure I ever heard it expressed quite that way, but I'd have to agree.
    I attended Berklee in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Graduated with a Bachelor's degree in 1982 (yay for me!).

The number of students who were there my freshman year and were still there up on stage with me receiving our diplomas four years later can be counted on ...well, two hands and two feet and maybe an extra digit. So many folks that I met in semester #1 were gone by semester #2.

In fairness, it's true that if you're Really. Effing. Good. you'll leave Berklee early because prestigious gigs are calling. A surprising portion of the name artists that Berklee proudly proclaims as One Of Our Alumni didn't graduate, they just did enough time until they made the right connections and then hit the road.

But a lot more of these students got blindsided by the intense workload and dropped out after a semester or two.

tl;dr - it's college, not a jam session.

9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    It was not spelling correction.

10. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield Guest

Apr 10, 2019
    I don't know anyone who made it through at least two years of engineering school who is broke, but a PE is a golden ticket if you have any skills at all. Only thing I know about any of those schools is that the one guitar course I took from Berklee was literally the most boring college class I've ever taken and that they absolutely bombarded me with marketing in spite of them possessing hard data showing that I should be physically barred from any music school for the greater good of mankind. I had a hard time reconciling that with the quality of their alumni.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    DrMole likes this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thats more than UT Dallas Med School, but less than Stanford.

12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    A lot of states have reworded their PE laws to the effect that ALL engineering deliverables to 3rd party clients require stamping.

Stamping....its not just for. Civil dwgs. anymore. Which makes a lot of sense.

I would highly recommend NCEES parity registration if you may do work in more than one state.

I was hired out of retirement after 65 and am compensated very nicely with full benefits. I have a PE with SME skills plus PM and PE experience on multi billion dollar projects. Ive taken down my social media, but still get recruiting calls.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    DrMole and Mike Whitfield like this.
  13. Of course the drawback is that now some minor back office flunky at the county will demand stamps on documents that have nothing to do with the engineering and projects will therefore be delayed at costly lengths for no good purpose. [N.B. I’m a retired engineer. And staying retired.]

IamGroot, DrMole and Mike Whitfield like this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    It's difficult to get exact costs from any private college. There are often scholarships available, so their published sticker price is rarely paid by that many.

We don't know the OP's financial situation. Some people can pay cash, some have to finance parts or all of it.

However, one thing is certain from a finance point of view: The total amount one borrows for college should be no more than their expected annual earnings upon graduation, or the loan will drag on forever making it almost impossible to ever fully repay.

DrMole, 12BitSlab and Mike Whitfield like this.
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Berklee tuition is approx.$60,000 a year.
    All my friends who graduated from there teach for a living.
    The top players in Boston hardly gig due to lack of work.
    A young man I know studied privately with Berklee professors
    and saved a ton of money and is a very accomplished player.
    Good luck

IamGroot and DrMole like this.
  16. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Surely you mean total cost of attendance (including books, room and board, etc.). There is no way tuition alone is $60k.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I stand corrected, $63,000 includes tuition,Room/bd and books,etc...

Lee Moses likes this.
  18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Good point. Does the OP want to teach or want to play? If you take on massive debt, you won’t be able to afford to play. You will have to teach.

19. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Unrelated question: What part of Austria are you from? My family is directly descended from the family in Ferlach, Carinthia that started the Juch rifle factory. Again; No matter what you decide, I know it's easier to follow your passions in other (European) countries. However, in the U.S., the music profession is not as dependable in providing a living income as other professions. Therefore, you may wish to have a backup plan. I'm currently a health care professional and pursue music as an obsession, that doesn't require an income.

DrMole and Mike Whitfield like this.
  20. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield Guest

Apr 10, 2019
    If the OP doesn’t have scholarships or wealth, perhaps he/she could spread the degree over five or six years and have time to teach or do other work on the side to reduce the debt occurred. Also, many schools bend over backwards to bring in foreign students for bragging rights, so the debt may be much lower than it appears on the surface. I know when I was in engineering school, there were plenty of fairly wealthy Arabs and Middle Easterners on full rides, including meals and housing. Certainly something that needs to be addressed with each school. There are also ways such as government employment that remove school debt without paying it. It’s also possible that we elect people who move all school debt to the general taxpayer. Or if music pays better in the EU, the OP can move back. Certainly the OP needs to be smart about incurring a lot of debt, but I don’t think that should derail his/her dream as long as the consequences are accepted.

DrMole likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021