Berklee or L.A.?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LazyAssedLover, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    If you go to Berklee, you will end up with many connections in all three major cities. A slim majority goes to LA, the next largest group to NYC, and the remainder to Nashville. At least those that end up doing/trying to do music professionally. A lot of Berklee grads end up moving back to where they came from, or staying in Boston and starting real estate or tech careers. One of the better trumpet players I knew back then is doing real well as a golf instructor in Texas.

To the OP: Really take that Adam Neely video at the top of the thread to heart. He and I went there at the same time (graduated 2009), and came away with a lot of the same conclusions about music school. If you've got any other Berklee or NYC questions feel free to shoot me a private message.

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    It should really be noted that most people respond with their own singular experience with the options presented- i.e. “I know a guy who went to Berklee and now he works at Burger King”. Any school is only worth what you as an individual put into it and take from it. As someone who spent 4 years at Berklee and does make a living playing music (20+ years and apparently still foolish ‘em), there are things that I still kick myself for not learning while I was there. And I thought I knew everything then!

Bob_Ross and Mike Whitfield like this.
  3. jblock

jblock

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    You’re 19? Congratulations; you have your entire life ahead of you. Go to Berklee first.

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Snowstorms or palm trees and bikinis??????

Visit both (in the winter!) before you drop $100k; the right choice for you will be obvious.

At 19, you are entering into one of the most impressionable and formative times in your life. There is so much more to your life's education than just what you get a classroom. Asking someone to look at a list of careers on a piece of paper, chose one, and then go into educational debtor's prison for the rest of your life is crazy. I know plenty of broke grads from both places sleeping on couches and still playing $50 gigs....

Minor in music but major in something that will give you a successful career and pay for a decent lifestyle.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    DrMole and Mike Whitfield like this.
  5. Mike Whitfield

Mike Whitfield Guest

Apr 10, 2019
    Or maybe get a B.A. from Berklee, make a lot of non-music major friends, and if music doesn’t pan out, get a cushy and lucrative sales or management team job from one of the Berklee graduates who secretly wishes he’d had the stones to pursue his “art” instead of money? Been working for utterly worthless rich kids forever - use connections to go to an upper tier university, make connections, exploit connections to bypass merit-based system. A Berklee B.A. (long as it isn’t an English degree or a fluff degree with “studies” in the title) has to look pretty good on any resume for any non-skilled job.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021