Berklee Press: Chord Studies for Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Morrighan, May 30, 2016.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan la Contessa Gold Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Hi

I cracked my Chord Studies for Electric Bass by Rich Appleman and Joseph Viola, © 1981, and have a question about what I'm reading.

C major chord structures open the study, and the first example is 1, 3, 5, Maj7, 9, #11, 13(6). Under the stave and suggested fingering are notations: C is annotated as — E — and, below that, — A —

The following 3 (E) and 5 (G) are annotated below the stave as: — A — and — D — And so on.

What is this being shown? Thank you!

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Boston MA
    Morrighan,
    what are suggested, are some possible fingerings for these notes. Some notes, almost all of them actually, can be found on different places on the fingerboard. So if you decide to play that C on the E string [first option], then the best option for the next note, E, is to play it on the A string, and similarly the note G on the D string. If you follow this direction you to not have to move your hand at all to play these 3 notes. You would play the C with your pinky, the E with the ring finger and the G with the index finger.
    If you chose to play the C on the A string, 3rd fret, and want to follow the previous fingering from the E on, then you will have to shift your hand. I do not have the book in front of me, so I cannot be more accurate from this on, but the letters under the grades are the suggested strings where to find the notes.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  3. Morrighan

Morrighan la Contessa Gold Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Ah, thank you very much. I was overthinking the notation. Much easier than I was making of it.