1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Berklee student band in a session video

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Jazzkuma, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Hey Berklee!
    Here is a video of a band im playing in, we recorded this last month.

We are all Berklee students/alumni and this video was released to promote a show at the Blue Note NYC Nov 1st at midnight.

Please check it out and leave any thoughts/feedback! :bassist:

Osmar

2. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    Decent production values. Loose the fuzz - it doesn't add anything and just sounds bad. At times it's a bit busy and then sounds too repetative and lacking in dynamics (a real problem with electric instruments). If you give yourself some space (verses mainly) you might have some room for some interesting dynamics. It sounds like you're touching on a Mahavishnu Orchestra vibe. Review MO's BBC concert from '72 for an example of a very electric band with good dynamics. Just a thought.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback ill keep that in mind!

4. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Haven't thought about mahavishnu with this haha.This is actually an arranged cover. Original is by Brotherly.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't change a thing, especially the fuzz! I liked it.

6. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Saw you guys when you came to Burlington, VT. So very sick! Keep up the good work and let me know how I can get my hands on one of them new EPs you just put out.

Also, I agree with Jimmy, don't change a thing!

7. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    Awesome video, I really enjoyed it. I would definitely like to know where more of that can be found.

8. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Thanks a lot for the feedback and the support! I like that fuzz synth setup (believe it or not it was a cranked up overdrive, TC Mojomojo!) too and trying to get a similar setup for our live shows but I still need to invest in some pedals that will help me get those sounds. Most of the pedals I used in this session were owned by the studio!

We actually had a show at the Blue Note on Friday and I used a OC-3 for this song, gotta get my hands on some dirt now

Yeah I remember the Nectars show! you know that was actually my first show with the band haha, wont forget that one!
    We have the EP available for digital download with a digital code we provide. We will be getting the codes sometime later this week and let you know.

There are also a couple of other videos of originals on the work but the videos are still being edited so if you like you can add us on facebook or check out the website! name is Crosswalk Anarchy :ninja:

9. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    I hope you guys can make it back up here soon. I've been chatting with Andre a bit. I'm brazilian as well. Would love to see you guys again.

Also, when I saw you at Nectar's you were using a Deluxe J bass. Are you exclusively using the Fodera now? just curious.

I remember that it was your first gig and you killed it. Great job. I remember watching you guys and being like "man, I wish I'd chosen to go to Berklee" haha. My dad went to college there but my family was against me going to music school which is how I ended up in VT (via Middlebury College)

I've been playing a Sadowsky Metro lately but I'm actually considering getting a Fender Deluxe Jazz. I've never seen someone play one of those and get a bad sound out of it. Your bass cut through the mix very well and was perfect. And often at Nectar's they'll boost the bass so much and scoop the mids way out and leave you in a puddle of mud, but you were nice and tight and defined.

Definitely made a solid impression on me. Send me a PM if you wanna chat about gear or bass in general.

10. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    cool im your neighbor, im from Peru haha

Thanks a lot man it was a pretty epic day driving from Boston. And Burlington is beautiful, wouldnt mind playing there again.

For now I am using my Fodera with this band, used it for the EP too and i like having the high C string for the stuff we play. The Jbass is great, I still use it for other gigs where I dont really need to chop out too much. Or when I miss the low-B haha.

I havent played Sadowsky too much but I always hear them and they sound great and punchy too, the fender is also great and Im used to it so i know what to expect from those basses.

Feel free to PM me too, because lately I have been thinking of selling my jbass, still thinking about it but you just reminded me of it lol.