Berklee =/= UC Berkeley

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Morrighan, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Morrighan

Morrighan la Contessa Gold Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Twitter user FAIL: Berklee =/= UC Berkeley. The Boston Globe reports.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

HaphAsSard and Morrighan like this.
  3. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    In my college days, both were just as liberal, but not as much activism as Berkeley is today. We had to take a mandatory "ethnic and woman's studies" course. The professor would rail against us that we were not out protesting everyday.

Heck, I just wanted to graduate and play my bass. That was my cause, and judging by the reactions of the other students in the class, their causes was similar.

However, that class was the easist A+ I've ever earned.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My father went to Berkeley back 1959-60. From everything he has told me, there was no shortage of activism back then.

5. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    My recollection is the UC Berkeley music department is (was?) strictly traditional classical training: by-the-book music theory; piano for everyone.

My own undergraduate* music theory class was possibly the most opaque, useless course I ever took. I know I wasn't a poor student as a cum laude graduate. The course presentation just didn't work for me and I always loathed piano. My campus did have a (good?) reputation for anti-war student participation, which is to say our fellow students did blow up the ROTC.

* Not UC Berkeley

6. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Just curious, what did you loath about playing piano? I am in no way a "piano player" but I can make noise from one now and I truly regret not having learned my way around a keyboard much earlier in my musical journey.

7. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    In my neighborhood all girls were sent to piano lessons at a very early age. That and/or dance class. Piano was a social requirement that lead directly to church. My ear was tuned to the saxophone and piano seemed to me parochial. The sax felt like freedom. Piano felt like prison.

Now it happens now and again, when sufficiently bored and there is absolutely nothing else to do and there is a piano, I may play a few chords. This is exactly what I was doing long ago when Verdine White happened by to strike up a convo. That my bass was beside me was probably the trigger. It certainly wasn't my stunning piano playing.