Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berklee WST Audition

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass EC, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Bass EC

Bass EC

Aug 8, 2005
    Hey guys.

Gotta question for ya'll. I've got the Berklee World Tour Scholarship coming up in a few weeks, and I'm having a TERRIBLE time trying to figure out what kind of song to play. I'm trying to balance between impressive, but not overly flashy. I'm going out for Electric bass, and I'm allowed to play with a recording, or solo, whichever I prefer.

My question is, what are some songs (they have to be songs, no improvised solos or anything) that I could play that would be impressive to Berklee audition panel, but not overly flashly? And should I go in and play solo, or with a recording?

Thanks!

2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I would suggest either a jazz piece or a blues... this way you can show them what your about, add in a few stylistic lines give them your attitude on the song and not just play along with it.
    with a good Jazz/Blues piece you will show them you have a solid foundation as well as "flash" when need be.
    maybe something like "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane just because I really like it!

BTW I went to Berklee for a couple of years back in the day ... you are going to have a blast ... GOOD Luck!
    - Tom

3. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I would say if you are going solo at least bring along a click track or if theres a way to pull out the bass part to the song and keep the rest that would be ideal....
    - Tom

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Would probably have more responses in the Band Management and Performance forum.

5. AmPb100

AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Berklee/Boston
    I am at Berklee now, and what I can suggest for the audition is do a standard. Blue Bossa, Straight No Chaser, Autumn Leaves, etc. Choose one, and learn it in every key. Be able to solo over the changes, and get song structure down perfectly. You might also want to harmonize with the melody line, and play the 3rd and 7th of every chord. That sounds awesomes for a solo.

Ex. Cmi6 to Fmi7 so for the 3rd and 7th idea you would play Eb and Ab for the Cmi6, and for Fmi7, Ab, and Eb.

Good luck.

6. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    +111111... Also get Tadd Dameron's version of Ladybird
    Im oficially a Berklee student, but ive defered for a year to get rid of core classes. If you want to pick something more flashy then id give portrait of tracy or Power or a Bach piece a shot, they worked for me.

7. Do a jazz standard, SERIOUSLY.

As was suggested, you'll get the money with tunes like Straight No Chaser, and There Is No Greater Love.

8. Bass EC

Bass EC

Aug 8, 2005
    Hm. Ok, I think I will. I have been messing around with Straight No Chaser a lot, plus it's F Blues, which is pretty easy to solo on.

Thanks a ton for the suggestions!

9. Bass EC

Bass EC

Aug 8, 2005
    What about Footprints by Wayne Shorter?! I know that song like the back of my hand, and I have this really awesome bassline in 4 that goes great with that song. I could loop that, and play ontop of that. What do you think?

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Yup, me too.

I did Teen Town for the WST, but arranged it differently so I could do it without the recording. They liked it.

11. Bass EC

Bass EC

Aug 8, 2005
    How much did they award you?