Berklee WST (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Farin, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    So I got a WST audition date for Nov. 30th in Cleveland. I have decided to play Tricrotism in Db (Oscar Pettiford). Is this a good choice? I can play the head fairly solid. Also, What else am I to expect? I know there will be some sight reading (which I am dreading), but should I expect to solo over Tricrotism or walk will they give me something else to solo over.
    Any other tips for an Audition are very welcome. I'm a little scared, I was hoping I would get a Feb. audition date, but that didn't happen.
  2. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Be glad you got an earlier date. The earlier the better. I would say just be as prepared as you can for sight reading (including rhythmic stuff), soloing (not giant steps, easy stuff), and playing your tune. Remember to put your best foot forward; don't worry about playing as hip as possible, do what you do as well as you can. Don't be scared. All you can do is your best after you've done your preparation. Let us know how it goes.

oh yeah, be able to play the head, walk and solo on your tune. if you don't think you can really pull it off well on Tricrotism, then either start practicing or pick a tune that is easier.
  3. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Hey Dylan,
    I see that you attended Berklee, may I ask what you played for the WST (if you went that route), also, what type of sight reading did you do, (once again if you did the WST).
    Also, what other scholarships should I try and get. I'm a freshman in college right now, and I'd like to get into the production and engineering program there.
  4. Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Well guys,
    Today I had my Berklee WST audition. It was pretty intense. I was very nervous but played the hell out of my solo (Tricrotism). Tiger Okoshi was on the panel, which initially made me feel very uncomfortable seeing as how he is a well now trumpet player, but he made me feel very comfortable after we played a few choruses of a blues.
    All in all it went well, I was worried about the sight reading, but it was actually pretty easy, I was suprised.
    I'll let you know the results when I get them.