1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bernard Edwards and his strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KoalaBass, Dec 29, 2020.

1. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Hi everyone, I know this has been discussed several times but I just saw this video from 1983 on his instagram:

He says that he used flatwounds on the first two Chic LPs and then switched to rounds “for that slap sound”. He did those first two albums on a Fender right? His Musicman appears to have strings with black silks on the video (could be dark blue too), dunno what brand that would be, several people have stated that he didn’t change the factory strings and that GHS was Musicman’s supplier. Which would mean he never used flats at all on the stingray?

Hope this info shines a light on a decade long debate.

2. GHS Brite Flats (Alloy 52 half-rounds/groundwound) were the original factory strings for the Music Man Stringray. They do come with dark blue silk.

Heavy Blue and tindrum like this.
  3. Heavy Blue and tindrum like this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Here’s a John Taylor video where he talks about Bernard’s Stingray, which he now owns. @ 6:55 he starts talking about the Stingray, @ 9:40 he starts talking about strings, and @ 11:15 he tells what happened to the original strings…

Malak the Mad, Heavy Blue and tindrum like this.
  5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The first three StingRays I saw in '76 and '77 had flats, which in retrospect seem to have been GHS Precision Flats. When I bought mine ca. 1979 it had half-rounds, definitely NOT D'Addario HR-72s. Other Ray's and the two Sabers on the wall had assorted strings on them- rounds, half-rounds, and flats.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021