bernard edwards/anthony jackson tone questions

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zoxbassist, Aug 11, 2004.

1. zoxbassist

Dec 13, 2003
    Providence, RI
    For my band's next recording I've been studying the basslines of bernard edwards and anthony jackson. What bass/amp/effects did Bernard Edwards use during the Chic years? It sounds like a Fender jazz bass to me...
    Also, what setup did Anthony Jackson use with Chaka Khan in the late 70's/early 80's? Again, sounds like a Fender jazz bass plugged in direct, but I'm wondering if anything additional was done to it.

any hints would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    From what I have heard, Bernard Edwards used a P-Bass primarily in the studio. Anthony Jackson used a detuned hybrid Fender with a P neck and a J body, I think. Last months issue of Bass Player has a transcription of "Move No Mountain" from Chaka Khan's "Naughty" album and features a deatiled description of AJ's old Fender and its setup.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Edwards is also known for playing a MM Sting Ray(with flats?).
  4. motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    I do remember a Bernie Edwards magazine article from way back and there was a photo of him sitting at the studio console playing a P-bass.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    From what I heard, Bernard Edwards used his Music Man and B.C. Rich more as stage instruments and he mainly used his Precision in the studio.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It sure sounds like Bernard Edwards was playing a Musicman to me :confused:
  7. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    I agree, musicman defintely!! I can get his tone with my musicman in good times
  8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    you can take a 4 string fender down to C ???
  9. cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Sure... just put B, E,A,D,G strings on it... EZ!:)
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bernard Edwards= Musicman+'old' Flats. It was rare when he changed (if ever) strings! I don't think he actually ever played that BC Rich....did he? That was mainly a photo prop, IIRC!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a famous interview where they ask Bernard Edwards what strings he uses and he says to the interviewer : "what strings do these basses come with?" indicating his MusicMan and then having to admit that he had never changed the strings since he got the bass!! :p
  12. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Poles apart. Bernard probably never changed his strings. AJ is known for changing strings every TAKE. AJ's "Working Girl" bass (the Jazz with a Precision neck) was the test bed for his ultra low tunings. He's said he had to spend hours setting it up to get the nut, truss rod, bridge, all set so he could play it with those low tunings and still have it be in tune. Plus he had to seriously control his physical approach because when he was doing this, there weren't strings as big as a 0.128, so he was using at most a 0.115 for the fourth string.

From reading interviews with Bernard Edwards and with Nile Rogers after Bernard's death, Bernard used the BC Rich and the StingRay in the studio. No idea what amps, but at one time there was a Music Man endorsement photo which included MM HD-130 amps and the reflex-horn cabinets. I couldn't tell if they were the 115 or the 212RH cabs. In the studio? Probably direct. But the bottom line is that for both of them, a large part of "the sound" starts with their personal conception of what the sound should be, and then it's their touch and ears that shape the sound. In other words, it's less about gear than it is the person and the mindset.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's neat to see my response in a zombie thread that's five years old. I got the information about a P-bass from Marcus Miller's website, but now I know that most classic Chic and Chic productions were recorded with a Stingray.

As another poster said, Edwards and Jackson were poles a apart in their approach to strings, but I can see the similarity: they were both finger and pick (faux pick) masters who were clearly imspred by Jamerson. They are also two of my absolute favorite bassists of all time.:bassist:
  14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005