1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bernard Edwards slap tunes??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I love this bassist, in the songs I`ve listend to there is no slap.
    Can you recomend me tunes where he slap the bass???
    Thanks

2. Well he slapped the solo on the Power Station's cover of "Get it on" from TRex. Pretty sure I've seen him slap a little on youtube clips of Chic's live a the Budokan.

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I heard him throw in some pops now and then -- in the 70's you HAD to! But he was never a serious thumper. Then again, he played funky as hell. I'll take what he played on We Are Family over all the manic slappers that go through Guitar Center in a weeks time. But that's me.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He actually slapped more on the last three Chic albums. A good example of his slap is "Hanging Out." Also the final album by the original lineup, "Believer" has a fair amount of slap.

5. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    Yup, he slaps a fair bit on Believer.

I prefer his playing when he was just groovin' along with the odd "pop"..

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of slap bass. Never really dug the sound of it. Reminds me of guitar shredding. More of a technical excercise than something I find musically appealing. There are some exceptions of course but...

6. Megavega4

Megavega4

Aug 3, 2005
    He slaps a bit on "Stage Fright", from Take It Off. Also he slaps in the chorus of "We Are Family." He was never a big slap player. As Mouse said, more a fingerstyle groove player with a pop here and there.