1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bernard Edwards

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I absolutely love what I've heard from him so far. I'd like to buy something off iTunes today to listen to at work. I'm leaning towards Chic, but I'm not sure which album I should grab. Any recommendations?

While we're at it, any discussion about him is welcome. I coincidentally bought the same bass that he used without even knowing it, a Musicman Stingray in natural. I've also read in other posts that he used the thumb technique, which I'd like to explore.

2. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    How about the 2nd POWER STATION album? Hard to imagine that Andy Taylor is the only surviving member of the band on that album.

3. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I was thinking more of his disco/funk work from the 70's with him playing bass on the tracks.

Power Station was good.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Huge Bernard fan here. Chic is what you want to listen to, definitely. Any and all of the stuff up to and including Chic-Ism. There's also the Live at Budokan CD which was recorded on Bernard's last night alive so there is a bit of a creepiness factor there but some of the tracks on there are just slammin.

Bernard also guested on a track or two of David Bowie's "Let's Dance" CD which is an amazing CD (and still one of the best recorded and mixed CDs ever, even after more than 20 years) -- although the songs he actually plays on are kind of weak, IIRC.

5. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    +1 on that album!!!!

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    +1

"Let's Dance" record was and is amazing! My favorite era of Bowie. What Bernard does with Chic is pure magic. Watching some Youtube videos of him makes it seems so effortless for him to funk it up! :bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is the perfect word, effortless! I am humbled because thirty years later, I still find myself trying to play well things he created when he was half my current age.:oops:

8. sister sledge - we are family
    chic - c'est chic
    diana ross - diana

all three Nile & Bernard. but with 3 different singers. great records.

9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I have a best of Chic and Sister Sledge CD which has prob every famous track they did. It has a bunch of remixes too on the second disc that I'm not so bothered about, but still, good buy.

10. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Any Chic or Sledge. Bernard was one of, if not the King of disco-funk. The last time I was tearing into some of that stuff I realized that they almost sounded like cut n paste loops.
    The discipline and playing was so tight. Him and Nile were pioneers.
    Fwiw, I think Zender does a great job of capturing the essence of that style.

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I just bought C'est Chic. It's great. I've been tapping on my desk all morning and annoying my co-workers.

I'll be buying the other recommendations soon. Thanks all.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A couple of Chic's "deeper" cuts worth checking out-

"Sao Paulo"
    "Strike Up The Band"
    "My Forbidden Lover"

Edwards only played on 1 cut from Bowie's Let's Dance album. His bud, Nile Rogers produced the recording...no wonder it sounds so good.

And one more thing-
    If you're into Chic, try something by The Brand New Heavies...like Brother Sister.

13. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    taking a college level course in timing, groove and feel; for finger style they don't come much better. He is one of the guys I REALLY listened to as a young bass player for this reason - can't say enough about his influence on me!!

If you don't listen to any other Chic song, download
    "I want your love" and learn to play it WELL since there are so many lessons in this one tune. If this one doesn't do it for you then I'm out of ideas.

Let me know what you think of it!

Thanks,

KT

14. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    You know, I was just checking back on this post after months and I saw your response. I did learn that song (or do we ever REALLY learn a Bernard Edwards song?) and I love playing along to the recording. His articulation on that track is great. His playing sounds bubbly and it totally drives the rhythm. Great choice.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    If you like "I Want Your Love" then you will definitely want to check out the version on their Live at Budokan CD. There's a stretch, I think about 3 minutes in, where everyone drops out except Nile, Bernard and the drummer (Omar Hakim), and maybe the percussionist, and they bring it down and it's about a minute and a half of pure groove heaven till the other instruments come back in and kind of muck it up. That little stretch with just those 3 or 4 playing is a groove clinic right there.

And of course the other rule of being a Chic fan is, don't ever listen to the lyrics cause by and large they're beyond lame. But Chic was never about the singers or the lyrics anyway... and I'm perfectly fine with that! :D

16. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    You know, I do like the singers. They blend perfectly with the band. If they were a couple of amazing singers then it would overshadow the band, but their rhythmic approach works well.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Ain't that the truth, I don't think I've ever totally nailed that We Are Family octave bounce exactly right.

Interesting fact that might only interest me, Chic'c longtime percussionist Geraldo Velez is the same Jerry Velez that is on stage with Hendrix at Woodstock.

18. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Yeah, but it's made me a much better player by learning it and practicing it constantly. That simple bass line never gets old to my ears.

19. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Great discussion! Here is a clip of my buddy Chris demonstrating Bernard's "chucking" technique.

He also describes meeting Bernard.

20. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    I just posted this on another thread - but in case anyone misses that, if you wanna learn a stack of Bernard's lines there's a book called FUNK & DISCO BASS by Stuart Clayton and it has about 20 songs transcribed for bass and guitar. The transcriptions are pretty accurate, and have tab if you don't read.

http://www.basslinepublishing.com/