Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bernard Edwards

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I dont hear much about this guy . I think he's very underated. He was in one of the greatest bands -Chic and played just enough for the songs ,in my opinion a brilliant bassist, any1 else agree?

2. yep.
    also check out the Chic-organisation-produced tracks he played on- eg. Sister sledge(eg. greatest dancer, lost in music, thinking of you, we are family), Diana Ross (my old piano, upside down, i'm coming out), Carly Simon(why)

I think almost all the tracks he's played on have got sampled at some point in rap records.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    He's one of my Favorites.

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Pound for Pound one of the best bass player to ever play.

check out Stagefright.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    great bassist, too bad he's gone. :(

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The bass break on Chic's "Everybody Dance" alone makes him one of the greatest! Very underrated.

7. Bernard Edwards...

One of the booty-shakin'est in the biz.

:cool:

B

8. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Don't forget that Mr. Edwards was one dynamite producer as well. And, not just with his Chic partner-in-crime, Nile Rodgers.

Bernard Edwards produced the classic tracks from Robert Palmer's "Riptide" album. Who can possibly forget the single, "Addicted To Love"?

Also, fans of The Power Station are familiar with his work. That band's brilliant debut was another in a long list of Edwards productions. John Taylor was apparently playing through one of Bernard's killer rigs for those sessions.

And, Moonraker, if you took that name because of a love of Bond films, you might be interested to note that Bernard Edwards also produced the theme song from "A View To A Kill" performed by Duran Duran.

But, of course, as a bass player, he was supreme.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  9. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I am a James Bond fan and speaking of Duran Duran , I also think John Taylor is quite underated maaybe cuz he was in a pop group? He was very influenced by Bernard and that was when John started playing bass more seriously after hearing the 'Good times' bassline in 1979.

10. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    YES,talking about a good workout for you're picking
    hand....whew

R.I.P...Bernard..

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Come to think of it, my main bass influence, Stu Zender, lists Bernard Edwards as one of his main influences.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The Man!
    Story from Niles: "When I presented 'Everybody Dance' to Bernard, I started singing, 'Everybody dance, do do dodo...' he said 'Whoa! Did you just say, 'Do do dodo'? I said 'Yeah', and he said 'What the f*#k is a 'do do ddo?!'"