1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bernard Purdie claims he played drums on some Beatles songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Bernard Purdie claims he played drums on some Beatles songs

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    He's been peddling that nonsense for years.

mcarp555 likes this.
  3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    With due respect to Bernard: :poop:

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

He's full of crap

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I think I said it in another thread about this claim.

Watch a bunch of YouTube drummers covering Beatles songs & Ringo specifically. Even the best of them don’t nail it. Usually they’re painful to listen to.

Ringo played. Period.

Dominic DeCosa and Ductapeman like this.
  6. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Ringo seems to get a lot of criticism for his drumming. It's not flashy, but seems perfectly respectable to me.

I believe that Carol Kaye did all the bass on The White album, though?

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    and got fired? :D:D:D:D

:rollno::rollno::rollno: Well, drummers! :laugh::roflmao:

Wise(b)ass

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    J_Bass and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Actually, Carol Kaye played all of Purdies parts on Revolver. She has logs that prove it.
    IMG_3191.PNG

9. Total frogwash.

10. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I thought Ringo was...let's just say not a great drummer...and I am far far from a Beatles expert (casual fan) but it was my understanding that Paul used to clean up his work after the sessions were done. I'm sure a resident TB true Beatles expert can shine some light on this if anyone indeed did drumming other than Ringo.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would say that Bernard and Carol need to start a band together. But there isn't a venue big enough for both of their heads.

12. I played Bass on some Beatle songs, and some Rolling Stones too, then I put on a Cream CD and played on some of their songs also. :rolleyes:

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Sig worthy!

14. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Carol Kaye used to claim to be the bass player on some original Motown hits that have been always credited to James Jamerson, on an old version of her website.

I don't remeber which tunes she claimed exactly, but I remember my eyes popping out when I read her site.

Don't know if she still makes those claims today.

Roberto Nunez likes this.
  15. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    No+love+for+ringo+am+i+the+only+one+who+s_4d545e_4918640.
    Musta been Purdie . . .

stigbeve, Pbassmanca, Honch and 2 others like this.
  16. acmeseed

acmeseed Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Give the old guy a break, that's what old men do, reminisce about their "accomplishments" Did I ever tell about the time I was in a plane and the pilot died? :)

True story, I play in a church, we have a guy that plays congas that is not the sharpest tool in the shed. New drummer comes to play and is doing a great job, conga guy praises him for his playing, I say "yeah, he used to play with Eric Clapton" conga guy is not fazed, has this long distant look. Next week he shows up at rehearsal drooling all over the drummer because he played with Clapton, I guess he Googled it after he left.

17. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    He's rather infamous for taking credit when it isn't due. Like, the entire known and unknown universe knows it was Steve Gadd on Aja's title track. Your cut didn't make the grade so stop pretending you did.

18. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Ringo's sloppy, barely-on-the-beat backbeat ('You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello' to name but one) was the ham-hock in the pot full of bland beans. IMO.

All of those flavors combined into something quite tasty, but take that ham-hock out and I ain't eatin it.

19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I've read multiple Beatles histories by authors I respect and by people who were there (Geoff Emerick, for example) and have never heard this claim. I've also read that there's no evidence for the "Ringo's not even the best drummer in the Beatles" comment ever being made by any other Beatle member.

It is true that in the band's later years, as they were slowly dissolving, they all played different instruments. John played bass on several tracks, Paul played drums on several tracks (Ballad of John and Yoko comes to mind).

I don't understand why Ringo gets short shrift. He was the drummer for one of the most popular bands in Britain (Rory Storm and the Hurricanes) before he joined the Beatles. This whole idea that he was somehow not a great drummer is BS in my opinion.

Aqualung60, smogg, Slinger and 12 others like this.