Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bernard Walke bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Does anybody have any experience with bows by Bernard Walke who is based in Ottawa, Canada?

Thanks

Adrian

2. Does he make bass bows now? I know lots of people who have violin and cello bows of his. He has a pretty good reputaion.

Zdzislaw Prochownik is a great Canadian bow maker - he lives in Winnipeg. I have 3 of his bows - I just got the third this week - a killer Sartory copy. I highly recommend him. He has a website too, just search for it.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes he makes bass bows. I'm familiar with Prochowniks bows (and his website). The other one of course is Reid Hudson although his bows are quite expensive (I think more than twice the price of a Prochownik).

Adrian

4. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Joel Quarrington uses a Viennese style Snakewood bow by Walke, I also know Joe Philips of the Thunder Bay Symphony uses a Walke German as well.

5. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Hey Snakewood, would you happen to know if Walke's French bows are as good as his German ones?

6. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I've never personally used or seen anyone use one of his French models. Sorry.

7. moschizzle

moschizzle

Mar 21, 2006
    Pittsburgh
    I'm about to try out a bunch of bows over the next couple weeks... maybe I'll throw Walke in with the rest of them. It seems like I'm trying out a bunch of Canadian bows. How much do the Walke bows usually run?

8. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    There's a French one at Robertson's for $3400.

9. theodore

theodore

Dec 14, 2004
    Toronto
    I have tried Walke french bows, and find that they are a very good bow at a great price. I own two myself, and would recommend anyone considering a bow have a look at them.

10. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Just about to purchase a Walke snakewood french bow. It's the best bow I've ever played. It looks incredible, does EVERYTHING, feels amazing, and was totally customized to what I wanted. 3400CAD plus tax is what he charges for his bass bows, well worth the price. It KILLED the Bazin I was playing before hand.

11. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    does walke have a website?

12. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
  13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone using his bows since this thread started? Thanks
    Louis

14. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    No mention of Sue Lipkins, here, either?

15. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Eric,

I may be too old to wait for one of her bows!
    Louis

16. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Funny enough, I have had the opportunity to play three of the bows mentioned here, and another couple by Bernard Walke. The bow that was made for Joel was sold to one of his students quite a while ago. It is a really beautiful bow. Wonderful snakewood, gold mounted, and plays nicely as well. I want to say that Joe Phillips has a Pernambuco Walke and a Snakewood Hudson, but I might be getting the two confused. Both of them are great bows either way. The French bow that "Snakewood" is referring to was also a good bow. It was beautiful Snakewood, and almost too articulate. It was great for getting notes to speak quickly, but definitely didn't hide any flaws in your technique. I believe he sold it, or attempted to because of this, and because it was quite heavy.

My first impression of all Bernard's bows is they are beautiful works of art. I have seen some fantastic bows by great makers, and mean no disrespect to anyone else in the business, contemporary or otherwise. A lot of bow makers have a great sense of what they wish to accomplish and make beautiful bows as well, but Bernard pushes just a little further. One of the bows I remember quite fondly was almost triangular instead of octagonal or round. His transition from octagonal to round on all of his bows is beautiful. All of the little details are stunning, and he occasionally uses his own interpretation on some of them.

A lot of the bass bows I have seen are Snakewood, and heavy. I played a German bow that was around 150 grams, which is heavier than I want to be playing on. Just like Reid Hudson, I have played some great bows by Bernard that were not for sale, bows that colleagues own that they are not going to part with. So, I know that he has great bows out there, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one that blows my mind that is for sale. I played one during my last bow hunt along side a Reid Hudson, Max Kasper, and Prochownik, (the coast to coast Canadian roundup) and I own a Prochownik and a Kasper.

I am not sure what his current pricing is like, but he was getting pretty close to Reid Hudson territory the last time I checked. I also do not know if he currently has a waiting list. I would strongly suggest looking into Max Kasper. A lot of players tend to play both or have switched from one to the other. Joel Quarrington switched from a Walke to a Kasper, and almost all of his students for a time had them as well. Kasper often has a waiting list of about 6 months, but makes great bows and isn't asking you to remortgage your house for them.

17. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very interesting , Mike, and informative. Thank you.
    Louis

18. My Walke "long" bow is the best orchestral bow I have ever owned. Rodney Mohr also makes good german bows.