1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bernstein on history of music development

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    What do you think of this short clip?
    I think it's pretty fascinating.

Bioflava likes this.
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Yep. There you have it in a nutshell. At least music history up to about 1940. But it's interesting to note the basic intervals get closer and closer, and recent developments have moved to microtonal expressions and noise (sounds getting closer in pitch). Many people find those newer sounds to be more that a little irritating. And it is interesting too, to note that even as composers (like in the 1300 1400's) were including the 3rd as a usable harmonic interval, the church has some rules excluding their use in liturgical music (at least at major cadence points).
    Music has always been an important part of human life, and there are never shortages in opinions.

ElectroVibe and Bioflava like this.
  3. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    The church has always been regressive. But it's strange to know that they would have prohibited using the third.

4. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks @ElectroVibe -- love that video, and especially the last minute about the interplay between diatonic and chromatic notes... Thanks for the post, I'd rather watch and listen to Bernstein as opposed to talk gear :)

ElectroVibe likes this.
  5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Amen. I'm not really a gear person either.

6. Bioflava

Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    @ElectroVibe this is pretty amazing too:

These are two concepts I've been struggling to articulate so his presentations really crystalize 1) how chromatic tones can help enliven diatonic progressions and then 2) how a great composer can modulate a theme through various keys following diatonic theory, but then "jump the tracks" so to speak to give the composition more life.

To switch genres, check out Adam Neely's breakdown of the theory behind Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke -- super cool:

ElectroVibe likes this.
  7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Interesting that he introduces the third without mentioning its role in determining major and minor.

8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I know. It seems like he is saying it was a really huge addition to the harmony. So much so that music hasn't really changed since that time. At least as far as most popular music goes.