Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Berry Oakley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AstralTraveler, Aug 22, 2004.

1. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    What does everyone think about this badass mofo whose life way cut WAAAY too short? What equipment did he use on songs like Ramblin Man? He got a sweet sound. Lots of low end definition. RIP Berry :bassist:

2. i dig the tractor bass!

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He used a Jazz with a Gibson "Mudbucker"/EB3 pickup added in the neck position I believe

4. AstralTraveler

AstralTraveler

Jun 23, 2004
    really? wow...i woulda swore he was using a p-bass on songs like "ramblin' man".

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I couldn't tell you exactly what he used for each song, but the Tractor bass* was his trademark

*I think I read the rest of band named it that on account that they thought it looked ugly as sin.

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    [​IMG]

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oakley died almost a year to the day & about a block from where Duane Allman died(both on motorcycles).

The Allmans have been rough on their 1st 3 bassists-
    Oakley
    Lamar Williams
    Allen Woody

...all passed in their prime.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I got to see Berry Oakley many times.......huge influence on me as a young player!!! The live Fillmore album[ a show I attended] is in my top ten of all albums.

9. A HUGE influence on me... What a tone!!!...Another influence was Allen Woody... To me he was a lot like Oakley...

10. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    Oakley was awsome. My dad introduced me to the Allman Bros when I was very little and I think that is one of the reasons I play bass today. I always remember really focusing on the basslines in their music. That band is just amazing. If you think about it they have had so many great musicians in their band. Oakley, Woody, Greg, Duane, Dicky, and Warren. They always seem to find great replacements for fallen members.

11. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    Correction:

Berry was not the bassist on Ramblin' Man, it was Lamar Williams.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Really?
    ...I do recall seeing Oakley LIVE doing "Ramblin' Man".
    Just checked the liner notes in my album-
    Oakley is listed as bassist for "Rambin' Man".

Lamar Wiiliams(a fine player, too) is on "Jessica"(many assume that was Oakley). Williams also did in good job in the Allmans-offshoot band, Sea Level.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really dug the early version of Sea Level! I saw them a few times, Lamar was great. I remember when Lamar joined the Allman Brothers, I figuered he was a full member, but when I read the book on the Allmans, he was on salery....1000 a week :eek: Sounds like a lot of money, but they where at their money making peak.......Lamar died penniless.

14. victobass

victobass

Nov 27, 2003
    Florida,USA
    All of the Allman bassists have been huge influences on me. I got to see all of them live except for Berry Oakley.

15. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    I sell churros
    I was looking up info on Thom Doucette today and I accidentally ran across this amazing article about Berry Oakley. Detailed info about him is sparse on the 'net, so I was floored by this article from the ABB website....I've looked for stuff like this, but I guess since it's archived, it's not immediately accessible. This guy is probably my greatest inspiration as a bassist, and the more I listen to him and learn on my instrument, the more impressed I am. Any of you who are Berry Oakley fans should go out and listen to Mountain Jam from the Fillmore East concert. It's simply amazing. Without further ado, here's the link:

http://www.hittinthenote.com/archival_feature.asp

This article really sheds light onto Berry's role within the band, something that I have found very little information about. Enjoy!

-Stephen

16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    actually, that's a Hagstrom single-coil pickup that he removed from his Starfire, not a Gibbo. He replaced the neck PU with that and moved the neck pickup back next to the bridge PU.

End result was something like this (which is a sort of tribute):

[​IMG]

BO live

I don't recall what he used for amps.... Dual Showman, I think, but I'm not sure.

One of my favorites:)

17. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    A huge on anybody with open ears. Lamar as well, incredible players both. Melody and support. Incredible!!!!!

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw Lamar Williams with Sea Level in Athens, Georgia about 25 or 26 years ago too. he wasn't flashy, but definitely grooved and held it down.

19. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I just looked this up on Wikipedia and Brothers and Sisters was recorded mostly after Berry Oakley died. I guess he ended up on a couple of songs, but it was mostly Lamar Williams. It's messed up how he died in a motorcycle accident on nearly the same patch of road that took Duane Allman's life.

The more you read about the story of the Allman Brothers Band, the more it starts turning into a V.C. Andrews novel. Really sad stuff.

Anyway, Berry Oakley's playing on Eat a Peach is pretty awesome. I've been meaning to get that Fillmore East live album, but I always forget about it by the time I get to the record store. I like how he maintains groove while constantly improvising.

20. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Jerry, you are a lucky, lucky man.

The Fillmore tracks are so insane, I can't even imagine what it was like to be there.