Bertram Turetzky

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Good Morning/Afternoon All, as I was digging for essays by the great Bert Turetzky I found a great 48 min. video of him at UCSD talking about life, his career, and creativity, he's such a warm and great man, would love to spend a few years with him....and DAMN! his shirt is funkier than a mosquitos tweeder!

take this link and scroll down about 3/4 of the way you'll see it, there's also many more interesting videos

I wonder what kind of music he is producing lately ? anybody have any idea, i've heard a bit of the most recent duo album with his wife Nancy.
  2. I also forgot to ask have any of you read his infamous book "The Contemporary Contrabass" ? if so, would you suggest reading it even though it's 31 years old now....I imagine it must still be relevant....Amazon has it for the low low price of $250.....yeah right...
  3. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    It is an awesome book. Loads of info on extended techniques aan musical examples although some of the pieces may be out of print now.
  4. Marc, thanks for the link. Good to see and hear him again....
    an old friend.
    I lent him a bass for a recital at a bass symposium here in Colorado. I was shocked to see that he preferred Thomastik Orchestral strings. I wonder if he still does that?
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Who hasn't lent Burt a bass...?
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Having had the pleasure of studying and hanging with Burt
    for a number of years, I can say nothing but wonderful
    things about him. We didn't just work on "the bass". It was
    all about music and art. Burt is a kind and gentle man, who
    also happens to be diverse and open in his opinions. Rarely
    dogmatic or inflexible. His influence on me has extended
    beyond the playing of music to the importance of teaching,
    and seeing the similarities in many artforms. Mark Dresser
    is a good example of the Turetzky school of "musicality".
    I'll stop now before I really start to gush.
  7. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    im a student of Mark's at UCSD now and ive talked with Burt a couple times, really a very good guy, very warm. funny as hell too.
  8. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    It is the great man's birthday today hence the title of Druckman's solo work "Valentine"! He is one of the most generous human beings on the planet. He wrote the notes for my duo with Kowald, lots of lessons, workshops, time spent talking to me, staying in touch and finally recorded a nice duo with me a few years back. Happy Birthday to him.
  9. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    I got to see him at the recent UGA symposium and he mentioned he still liked Spiros.