Besides the Fishman Pro Platinum & SABDDI, which other pedals can be used as a pre???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 20, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am trying to find the perfect preamp for my stewart pr 1000. I have used the fishman pro platinum bass and though its definitely usable I am looking for something with a bit more.. shall we say pizzaz. I am about to rent a sabddi, but it has no mid control. I know you can fool with the bass and high eq to control mids, but that sounds like a bit of a hassle, especially at a gig.

I am only seeking pedal style preamps because I am trying to keep my rig really light. With one pedal and poweramp and schroeder mini 12+ I can keep my rig under 48lbs.

Munjibunga mentioned the tech 21 paradriver. What are the other pedals out there that can successfully be paired with a poweramp, and has mid control? Other features that would be nice would be a mute, and some drive and warmth options.
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The LR Baggs Para DI is worth checking out. It has a mid control with adjustable frequency and a notch filter, plus a (non-adjustable) high-pass filter and an insert jack. Doesn't have a mute or ground lift on the DI. EQ options are optimized more for higher-range instruments but it's a versatile preamp with stronger output than the Fishman. I had one...sold it, but kept my Fishman and SABDDI. You can probably find one for under $100.
  3. If you like the BDDI you could try the RBI, thats the rackmount version of the BDDI, and it has a mid control, i dont think it would be that much heavier and only another single unit in a rack :)

If you are worried about the time taken to dial things into the BDDI you could try the programmable BDDI which is the exact same as the normal one, but has 3 channels that stored ( only digital in how it stores the values of the controls)
  4. There is the Hartke VXL - its got decent tone and tube emulation, as well as a mid "shape" frequency sweep. It has some issues with boosting gain levels when using the pedals while playing, but if you are looking for something you can set and leave on or off, it would work quite nicely. There's also that ebs pedal/preamp that is supposed to be really nice...
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    These pedals such as the mxr 80 and the ebs can be used as preamps to drive a poweramp? Keep in mind that the output levels have to be hotter than a regular pedal. I hope they do though!!

as to the suggestion of the rbi, in order to use it I would have to buy a rack and that adds at least 8lbs, unless anyone knows of a rack that is lighter.

thanks for the suggestions!

7. well i just assumed you'd be getting a rack as it was because you were using an individual power amp

and you can get rack bags, which are pretty light :)
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Why not use both the Fishman and the SABDDI you already have and save the bucks? Five band graphic EQ, compressor, tube emulation, blend control, etc. Sounds like it would be a fairly versatile combination to me. Plus the extra pedal might tack on all of 1 lb with the extra patch cord......
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I may end up doing just that. But if I could learn of one pedal that does it all that would be great. I am considering the tech 21 paradriver as it has a mid control, but no presence. I dont know that i would need a presence knob as i am not much for overkill distortion on bass.
  10. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i just started using an ebs microbass 2 and i am extremely impressed...two inputs,(-10db) pad, two stackable channels, mute switch, a/b/both switch, fx loop w/blend, drive circuit, sweepable mid, enhance, tube simulation, and speaker modeling filters, xlr, (2) 1/4" outs, it's loaded and sounds
    amazing! from very flat to extreme eq and overdrive capabilities. all analog and extremely well built.
    unfortunately, it's as expensive as a rack-mount unit with the same features, but that's what makes it so good:
    all the rackmount features in a pedal the size of an mxr distortion+
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    wow, this is cool. exactly what i had in mind. thanks!
  12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Its too bad it costs a bundle at around $700us. Way too much for me!