1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best £300 ish amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassash, Mar 23, 2006.

1. bassash

bassash

Mar 23, 2006
    Right, I'm a bassist currently in a funk band which involves slap bass and just groovin' basslines. I have a Warwick Streamer Jazzman and I've got £300 to a max of £350 to spend on a bass amp. I know the amp is worth far less than the bass but ignore that :p.
    Basically, I need an amp that isn't too big, (we have to lug it in a small car with 5 musicians and drum kit) that's preferably a combo that would be cool as a monitor at a small to medium size venue. In addition it'd be good at home use.

I came to the conclusion that the new Line 6 150W 12" Lowdown bass amp would be cool, it has some modelling with it too, such as compressor (which'd be handy for funky songs). And it's not too big and plenty of watts. But do people have better suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice!

Ash

2. john flipcycle

john flipcycle

Oct 13, 2004
    Reading UK
    Partner, The Strat Shack www.thestratshack.co.uk
    Try a Hartke kickback combo, they make them in 12" and 15" combos with 120 watt power amps. Lots of power, portable and sound especially good for slap stuff as they are voiced with lots of treble with the aluminium cones. The 15" is a bit over budget but make a shop an offer and see what they say.

Great bass BTW used to have one of those myself :)

3. 1972 Ampeg SVT with 810 cab. That will be close to 300 pounds and the tone is great, although very old school. :eyebrow: :meh: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Since you are in the UK why not look at an Ashdown Mag setup. I have one of the older Mag 200 115 combos that does a great job for me. Obviously you wouldn't want a 15 inch speaker for slap, but a Mag 300 210 combo should be close to your price range and you could add an extension cab later when you have more money.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I saw this thread title, and seriously was going to do that same joke. Great minds think alike.

5. Ive seen the peavey firebass head and 4x10 combo go for £400

Cant beat that for an amp at that price :) (could probably get the nitro head cheaper)

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    An old Trace 12 band combo could be had for that much. Look for a 12 band SMX series. Very nice amps and they go for very reasonable money at the moment.