Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 100 - 120 W Combo for the price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, May 22, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hi, i never worried about amplification till i got some reharsals vs loud guitarist... so i need an Amp in the range of 100-120 W and a good price...

can you give me your top 3 choices? thanks!

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I really like my Ampeg B100R combo. It's rated at 100 watts with a 15" speaker in a retro styled cabinet. Very good tone and it sounds MUCH bigger than the 100 watts would lead you to believe. A little on the heavy side, but hey - it's bass gear. We're used to that, right?

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Second the Ampeg

4. Those Ampegs are really nice. You might want to check out the SWR WM15 as well.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    EBS Drome. I think it's a "good price" for what you get. :D

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Fender Bassman 100 (from the new Bassman series).

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thanks... i´ll check the ampegs next trip to USA

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    1. Ampeg B-100R
    2. Ampeg BA-115
    3. Something else, I guess:D

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Do you prefer the B100R over the BA-115, or vise versa? I only ask, since I'm in the market for a new 100W amp, and I think it will come down to either an Ampeg, or new Bassman 100.
    Thanks!

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive got the BA-115 and prefer it over the other.I tried both literaly side by side and thats my preference.Not! that theres anything wrong with the 100R but the BA has a style switch that gives a greater variety of sounds including a very close copy of the R amp.Its only drawback is the lack of an ext speaker jack but the 100 doesnt have one either.Good luck!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like the retro sound of the B-100R. So much so that I bought one. It reminds me of my old B-15s or a much bigger sounding version of my Polytone, with the ability to handle a low B flawlessly. Retro doesn't mean it doesn't sound great for slapping. It's just a great big, warm sounding amp.

It all depends on what kind of sound you're after.

I like the BA-115 but when I feel the need for a horn enhanced bass sound I just use my little big rig (AMP BH-420/ Eden D210XLT).