best 100/120 watt for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fell, Oct 23, 2005.

1. fell

Jul 31, 2005
    hi, im looking for an amp of about 100 watts or more as an upgrade from my 60 watt. ive played on a 120 watt peavey that was going for about £500 and the sound was great but i cant quite cope with the price considering im a high school student.
    so basically, im looking for something that wont leave me broke and will be suitable for transporting to gigs, at 100-120 watts. any recommendations appreciated, and if anyone knows somewhere to get trolleys to carry the bloody thing about, that would be great too.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I really can't suggest any amps as I'm in the US and don't know what's available in the UK.

I will say that you'd be better off saving for a while and getting an amp that is 200 watts or more. The difference between a 60 watt amp and a 100 watt amp won't generally be noticable and the difference between a 60 watt amp and a 120 watt amp may not be either (or only very, very slightly). The rule of thumb is that it takes twice as much power to be just a little louder (3 dB which is the smallest difference that most people can hear).

If your 60 watt amp has an extension speaker jack, you'd be wise to add another speaker. The additional cone area will do as much for you (or more) than slightly increasing amplifier power.

Good luck!!!
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you playing and competeing against? It may do no good to get an upgrade to a just 120 watt combo...
  4. jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
  5. fell

Jul 31, 2005
    thanks, that was really helpful. the only real reason i was thinking of upgrading was because the two guitarists i play with have just got 100 watt amps and i thought it would be a problem, but obviously not. i was looking at the peavey tnt 115, but are there any recommendations for 200 watt (or around there)amps so i can plan ahead?
  6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Bass watts don't equal guitar watts.

If your band has two guitarists, each with 100-watt amps, 200 watts of bass amp may not help you much. (I assume your guitarists play TOO LOUD - right? They always do! :rolleyes: )

A cranked-up, 100-watt solid state 2x12 guitar amp is medium-gig stage loud. So is a 50-watt tube guitar amp. I would agree that you should start with an extension speaker if possible and save up for a real gig rig, not a bigger practice amp. And then you'll need a van or truck ("lorry"?) to haul it...

Welcome to the world of big bass gear. It only ends when you get famous enough to play concerts with leased equipment and professional sound crews.