Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 100watt SS amps from experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayBass, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Fender Bassman 100 Combo

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Yorkville XM100C

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Ampeg BA115

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. SWR Workingman's 12

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I've chosen these 4 brands. I know there I am missing a few good ones such as Hartke and Roland. Despite the price difference, which amp do you personally think is worth every penny?

- Fender Bassman 100 Combo (The 2005 solid-state model) for $349.99 US

- Yorkville XM100C for $329.99 US

- Ampeg BA115 for $449.99 US

- SWR Workingman's 12 for $449.99 US

Please feel free to vote. Thanks!

2. Vanni

Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Ampeg B100R

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I thought the BA115 was better than the B100R when I A-B'ed them. FWIW.

5. DanBuck

DanBuck

May 29, 2005
    North Haven, CT.
    Ampeg B100R

6. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    why do you all like the B100R over the BA115?

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    My choice is the Workingman's 12. I just recently purchased my 3rd one. The original, especially if you can find one used is a good value. These amps have great tone and work really well in a number of environments. Controls are very linear and very useable tones. Not the deepest sounding cab, but I always use it for practice.

Fender recently introduced an amp with a 110 tiltback design that sounds good for the money. I think it is 100 watts also

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My old Musicman 120B is way better than all of those :D

But for the sake of conformity, I'll vote for the Ampeg.

I like the sound of the B100R, and I love the looks. But I'm not sure if it has a DI, which may be a big factor for some people.

9. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Yeah, I found a used SWR Workingman's 12 for $400CDN, but I'm still pretty paranoid because after all, it's used. As for the new Fender Bassman 100, it's fairly new and no one is able to give me any solid feedback. It's the most portable and I played it a few times at the local music shop, sounds alright. I'm unsure about reliability, because I want an amp that'll last a few years.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't. I think the BA115 sounds noticeably better--less vintagey, perhaps, but that's good in my book. The B100R does look cooler, though!

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I spent almost a month playing with an Ampeg BA115. Aside from the lack of effects loop and tuner out, it is a great amp with deep bottom and sweet highs. Unfortunately mine turned out to be defective and had to be returned. I now have an SWR 210 combo.

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

+1

13. old peavey mark III 135 watts into 1x15 and will go up to 200 with an additional two ohm load. not pretty or best sounded but a work horse.

14. I could never get the sound I wanted out of the Yorkville, the Ampeg B100R was my first choice but $$$ dictated either the SWR workingman 12 or the BA115. I opted for the BA115 because I prefered the 15" speaker. It has served me well, and contines to serve well.
    HOWEVER...... Let your ears decide which amp to buy. That should be the major deciding factor.
    Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Of those listed, I'd take the Ampeg. I haven't played them much, but I've heard a few at gigs, and they have a great, classic presence in the mix.

But if I were buying one, I'd get the Roland Cube 100, which I recently compared to Fender's new Bassman 150 and the Eden Silver Series 1x12" combo. I thought the Roland won hands down. It has incredible punch for the size, great tone, flexible connectivity, and useful effects (for band rehearsal at least, probably not serious recording). I might buy one this week, depending on whether my Carvin PB100-10 can cut band rehearsals when augmented with my new Aphex Bass Xciter (cool pedal).

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Again, B100R. I would've picked it, but it wasn't an option :) Then again, this is the only 100W solid state I've ever played.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'll agree with the 100R votes as well, at least with respect to the ones I've actually played.

The 100R is NOT as versatile, tone-wise, as the BA115, but if you dig the tonal capabilities it does possess (and that's the rub, admittedly), it is a very well-built, rugged workhorse of an amp that is plenty loud for a 100-watter.

I used one at a small gig (in a tiny bar) once and it worked fine when mixed with drums, two guitars, an organ and vox - and it wasn't even miked. Received some nice compliments about the tone afterwards.

I do agree with Richard Lindsay's comments regarding the BA115's tone, though, and I would place it a close second.

I don't like SWR's tone, personally, especially the Workingman's stuff, and I've had a lot of experience with it.

18. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    +1 more for the B100R

19. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I agree with the poll results, but an SWR is kind of out of my budget. The SWR LA15 is not worth it and I don't want to settle with SWR's lowest series. If the used Workingman's 12 is still there, I'll probably give it one try, but after all this testing a day ago at the music shop, I'm really satisfied with the Yorkville. There were no 100watt Ampeg's within my budget, but I heard from a lot of bassists, they weren't reliable.

The Bassman 100 is just plain weak. The volume was at 4'oclock and it sounded like a 35 watt amp. Yes, portable, small, and weak. The Yorkville was pretty powerful and I'm pretty confident I'll buy that one in a week or so.

Thanks for all the input guys, it has made my decisions much easier.