1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 10's that REFUSE to bottom out ay high volumes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassslayer69, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Talkbass gurus enlighten me!

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The ones that are in the cabinet and amp combo that's adequate for the volume level you're playing at.

3. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    IME Epifani 410UL Series I and probably II.
    The new Bergs will probably be excellent too but maybe not as low but tight for sure.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    whichever ones are in the schroeder 410R

5. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Have you ever tried the Accu Groove Tri210? You've gotta' slam pretty hard to get any sort of break up on those bad boys. Great low end punch/ very clear & present mid range/ very natural & crisp top end. It get's stupid loud & stays clean. Another thing to consider is how much power you're giving whatever cab you use. You can take the tri210 & give it 2000 watts if you wanted......it would take it & make you cry. You can get by with 400watts even.....if you way under power the thing, though, it'll bottom out/ distort.... You've gotta' have headroom with any amp/ cab combination for a clean sound at high volumes. I bridged my power amp into my AccuGroove Tri112 (1200 watts @ 8 ohms). It was so increadibly loud & never distorted. If I were to give it 150 watts, it wouldn't do well at all.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i bridged my ca9 into my old tri210l

it was deadly

7. I'm sorry...I meant REPLACEMENT drivers....not pre outfitted cabinets....

8. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    If you are talking about taking your combo and really modding it with a new driver configuration, what you are really asking about is designing a cabinet from the ground up. You have to select drivers that work with the cab volume and porting (or lack therof). You will be introduced to the wonderful world of Thiele-Small parameters and bass resonance loading options. In other words, there is no "best drivers" answer.

9. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Edens

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yep.
    Only 410 cab I"ll ever buy again prolly.

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have an older Genz Benz 410XB that has been absolutely "bomb proof". I hear good things about their Uber410 too.

12. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    I vote for EA VL-210's. More watts the better.

13. When I had my SWR Goliath III speakers reconed from Hurricane Katrina's wrath, I asked the reconer (highly respected) if there was possibly a better speaker to install than the stock PAS drivers. He said, " There isn't a better ten for bass guitar"
    I haven't played a cab that delivered the lows to highs as cleanly as this cab.

14. yup...I'll be dealing with the fine fellas at u.s speaker,when it comes time to do the install. I also have my eye on Madison knight drivers.
    oh god Theil small what? oooo noooooo!

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Eden XST drivers. A 210 cab that can easily take 500 watts. That's a LOT for two small drivers. And yes, it's deep like Quentin Tarantino.

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Eminence BP102 is displacement limited to about 100 watts in an average alignment. That doesn't sound like much, but the average ten will only take 30 to 40. But the BP102 is pretty shy on midrange sensitivity. No such thing as a free lunch is there.

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Bill do you have any experience with comparing the bp102 to the (rather pricey) beyma that jock linked above?

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ciare NDH 10-3

But the Kappalite 3015LF does a lot more for a lot less money - if you have the space...

Alex

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    +1 to the bp102's, thats what i have in my 4x10 right now. cant beat them for the price.