1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 10's that REFUSE to bottom out ay high volumes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassslayer69, Feb 29, 2008.

1. The drivers Basson uses in their cabs. They need 250 watts minimun per 10" speaker to work properly. With 12.5 pound magnets they can dish out the low end like nobody's business. :bassist:

2. What about the madison knight 10's? at 250 watts each,50 to 4500 hz and a huge 3 inch voice coil, they are starting to sound pretty good! plus, they can be had for 45 bucks a piece!

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    <obiwan>Look at the xmax, Luke, look at the xmax.</obiwan>

Xmax has more to do with how hard you can hammer with bass guitar without bottoming out than "RMS" ratings or sensitivity ratings that were taken at non-low frequencies.

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Tried to get him to look at the T/S parameters, but I got

Don't know if that was sarcastic or not.
    Truth was stated by Mr. Fitzmaurice

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I had a free lunch today. The venue gave us a deli tray, and now I'm going downstairs to have free dinner, too!

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Dinner sucked, BTW. Lousy frozen grilled chicken and pasta with Ragu. Cheapskates.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Gig food is always hit or miss. Usually miss.

It's also always a recipe for comical situations, since half of the musicians in Madison are vegetarians.

8. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Look here. http://www.tonetubby.com/speaker.htm

I played an early 70's reinforced Ampeg 8-10" cabinet loaded with these powered by my AI Focus 2R and later that afternoon by a QSC PowerLite 380. Rather than listen to my giddy babel I'll just say you'd be a fool not to check these drivers out yourself.

Hand made in Petaluma California using hemp cones. These guys did a major work at Lucas Film down the road and their list of customers is impressive. Their instrumental Bass drivers are newish.

Vic

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow, for those prices, I hope they teach you how to play the bass! Did the cab wire up at 4 ohms or 2? I always thought you had to use 32 ohm speakers to get an SVT cab wired up at 4 ohms. Could be wrong, though.

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    When I read the thread title, that was my first thought... +1.

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Rob, your not at all wrong.

Keep in mind that while NAFTA has kept costs down to mass market consumers imported goods it still costs more to produce a product locally here in the US let alone a hand made driver who's resistance can be customized for a particular application.

It's worth a call to Brown Soun in San Rafael, California to work out any details regarding application, reconeing of your current driver/s and pricing.

Vic

12. +1 for Eden XST drivers!
    Deep alright!!!

13. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    That lunch wasn't free. You worked for it. Dinner wasn't free either. And, you paid twice, first by working and second by eating trash. Nope, not free at all.

14. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow, you're right. It wasn't free. Now I feel terrible and depressed.

15. How about just going with a 6in mid,and tweeter rather than 410s?