1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 115 Cab out there ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Outside from the price, which is no issue, what is the best 1X15 Cab out there ????

Need your opinions for a highly rated cabinet.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    fEARful, without a doubt.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Depends what your criteria are. Tone is subjective. If,however, you want the 15 that can handle the most power without farting, go the lowest and still be clear, and be at least as loud as a good 410 as long as you feed it 500 watts, then nothing will touch a fEarful or similar cab based on the 3015 super woofer. Nothing, period. If you want the most efficient 15 for a small head with not too much power, or a cab that weighs less than around 55 lbs a standard fEarful will not be your "best".

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Nothing that you'll find in a music store. You'd need to go with either DIY or custom made.

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    This.

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I should add that it would be for an all-around use, from Rock to dance, etc. Never heard of Fearful, I am curious!!!

7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    This is what I gather from reading on here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    fEarful is the design by Talkbasser Greenboy. Originally it was a DIY project, but became so popular that companies now manufacture them with Greenboy's approval for sale. They have legions of fans and are famous for their power and clarity. The 15/6 seems to be one of the favorites.

8. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Do a search. It has it's own thread, but in a nutshell:

This is a state of the art design based on a "super" woofer by Eminence that can handle far more power than a conventional 15, and a dedicated 6" midrange driver (plus or - tweet) with a xover allowing the woofer to handle only its' strength (lows) and the mid to handle it's forte. There are many builders who will make them (all custom) and some other builders (like LDS and Audiokinesis) who make similar cabs (although not exactly to fEarful spec). fEarful concept and design comes courtesy of TBer Greenboy.

My LDS 15/6 weighs 55lbs, is as loud but deeper and clearer than any 410 I have heard. Only caveat is they are 8 Ohms, so you'll want an amp that can deliver a good 500 watts into 8 Ohms. They are studio monitor-like in their response, take eq immaculately and will reproduce what you feed them.

That is all:p

9. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    yup

10. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    OP,
    are you talking about a single 15 cab? because the 15/6 and fearful cabs are not just 15 cabs. They are definitely super, but also employ other drivers.

If you are looking for just a single cone 15, then there are still many choices out there that would be "best" but would ultimately depend on criteria such as: tone, weight, cubic volume, ported, non ported, etc.

For me I have an affinity for my BagEnd 15s. I like their sound, they are very compact and reasonable light ( but not nearly as light as some) they also can take quite a bit of power despite their low power rating, but are efficient so I can get them to talk without a ton of juice.

So, really the best advice may be try as many cabs as you can and read up on some different cab options and find what best suits your needs.

11. Has anyone a/b compared BFM Jack15 to fEARful?

12. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    There are freq response curves for both available in TB threads, but you'll have to dig them up. I think the fEarul design goes lower, but the Jack may be more sensitive, but I'm guessin' here......hopefully one of the experts will chime in.

13. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I found nothing in store I really like so I built my own with a 15 Beyma Driver (15G40).
    I could also live with a Markbass New York 115 if I had to. It's a nice cab. Stay away from 115 with tweaters; they sound bad to my ears.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    As far. As single 15s. I really like the bergantino ht115 and the glockenklang uno deluxe. Both very smooth sounding cabs with tweeters. The berg is loud as most 210s and the glock has the perfect balance between highs and lows. No 115 muddiness.

15. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    You didn't mention what type of tone you want but for 4 strings or for rock the old EV TL-606 based cabs like the Mesa Diesel and Orange have pretty good presence and mid punch with no tweeters. Tweeters are nasty IMO.

ScottTunes likes this.
  16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I also noticed the cabs from Duke at AudioKinesis, which seem rather interesting and present cabs with features that out of the ordinary !!!

17. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    The thing that separates Duke's Thunderchild (12") is the proprietary speaker and crossover combination that he has worked up. (Just repeating known info, I can't speak first hand). Apparently, he's about to come out with a 15 VERY soon, so that would definitely be one to consider.

18. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    +1 on the Mesa 115 cab E/V equipped. I am old school and this was the best 1-15 cab I ever owned. I should have kept it.

ScottTunes likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm down with those types of 2 and 3 way designs, but I'm also a huge fan of traditional types of bass cabs as well. And if we're talking single 115's, my vote goes to the Ampeg PF115he. Sounds like a cross between the 60's and 70's B-15 cabs with the tweeter off, has a good sounding compression driver instead of a cheap piezo if you like tweeters, and the price is right.

ScottTunes likes this.
  20. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah. Duke's design is another great flavor of 2-way cab with superwoofer, and is 4 Ohms, so if you want a single cab and your head pushes 500 at 4 Ohms it's a good solution, and also a bit lighter than a plywood true fEarful build. The inexpensive option is the Avatar TB153, which is a 3-way flavor, not built to strict fEarful spec, 65 lbs, available in 4 Ohms and 2-3 hundy less than the others, with a shorter wait time. This just might be the best bang for the buck in a 15.