Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 12 combo+12 ext

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 29, 2004.

1. I'm considering this setup for stage use. In the past, an svt 350pro/bse 410hlf was plenty (I wish I never got rid of it, but here I am). Anyone out there doing the same? I like the Ampeg tone, but leaned toward as clean as it would get. Help?

2. what is your budget? you are going to get recommended eden, e.a. and ashdown, regardless. stay away from gk, hartke, peavy and the like if you want warm tone.

3. I'm hoping against all hope that I can get in under a grand, or at least not too far past. I would be willing to put a lot into the basic combo 1st & get an extra cab down the road.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Will be receiving a Genz-Benz NEO-X400 combo next week and am looking at going the same route as you.

Plan is to drag the combo to a few stores and check out a bunch of 1x12" cabs - Bergantino, EA, Aguilar, Epi etc. I will also try some of the lower $$$ cabs to see if there are any undiscovered gems (however unlikely!)

Unfortunately, I do not know anywhere to find a matching GB cab but would like to locate one as I like the idea of a NEO as is in the combo

Looking to stay under a grand too. Got the combo at the right money so that is a start.

Take a look at the GB - they make good stuff.

Good luck with the quest.

5. GenzBenz is first and foremost a cab company. I am sure you can find a matching cab. I do not like the idea of mix matching cabs unless you have a 15 or dedicated sub.

A grand will buy you a great rig!
    Here is a portable svt subisitute, for example.
    http://www.flitesound.com/products/default.asp?view=display&pid=34&type=5

Ans ashdown mag series 210 combo and est. 15 cab would also be nice.

Eden cxc series combos also.

you have lots of choices with that budget, and that's for new stuff.

6. Tubster, GB (I'm sure you're aware) does make a matching 1x12- check the website- & there must be dealer somewhere near you? Or maybe you're like me & need to actually play before you buy (usually). Whatever you do, I'd be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
    Angelopb, are 100 watts through a 1x15 really enough to make people tell me to turn down? Everyone says tube power is so much apparently louder, watt for watt, than SS- is that your experience? Thanks, guys.

7. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    If you can find a used Mesa Walkabout Scout, you may find that you don't need a cab to go with it. Mine has worked great for gigs with and without PA support.

8. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    scout is very impressive but price is the obstacle - have yet to see one available used and mesa prices are SET!

I will let you know how the GB fares. There is everything around here in S. Florida but GB is conspicuous by their absence. Combo is coming from Ohio. I'll let you know how it does.

Did consider getting an "airhead" i.e speaker with empty space above from Dr Bass and sliding in my WT 800. Just too heavy was the conclusion I came to but i might do it with a 550 or a 400 Eden at some point if the GB does not work out.

If things work out, I will sell my Sunn 300T.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    get the new Aguilar 112 combo.

-Mike

10. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Happy Chinese New Year to you too!

AngeloPB, what is your objection to mixing cabs? I thought that if the impedances were not mismatched, there would not be a problem?

A g...tar friend in the UK swore by always mixing speakers to get his tone.Interested on your take.

Tha FLite sound looks interesting and yes, I'd reckon it could handly most any gig easily. I used to run a Marshall 50 tube head with a 1x15" and it did the job with room to spare, no sweat.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not too terribly long ago, there was an EA iAMP 200 Wizzy Combo with another powered Wizzy (with its own 200w amp) for about $1,100. I almost jumped on this myself, though ultimately, even I couldn't justify this purchse (especially since I have an iAMP 800 and two Wizzy's - among other things). The Walkabout Scout has already been mentioned, and would certainly get my recommendation, too, if you are limiting yourself to a 1x12 combo with another 1x12 extension. The iAMP 800 Combo with another CXL-112 would also rock, but you may have a hard time getting either of these in your price range.

If you consider the "cab with a built in rack space" thing, in addition to the Dr. Bass Airhead cabs, Low Down Sound makes a number of cabs with rack spaces built in - and will always custom make something for you.

12. I wanted that Mesa and have even check for scratch and dent or b-stock. This company is price controlled so strictly, like bose. You can't get a deal anywhere. But for the $1,100 price tag, it is a cool design, a tube preamp and the passive radiator thing to move air. And the removeable head. I would much rather have that than a 200 watt class D switching amp, although the transimission line enclosure warrants a look.

13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I could fix you up with:
    (1) Eden WT330 Time Traveler
    (2) D112XL cabs

Bought brand new this spring, and priced reasonable. Shoot me an email.

deManBass

14. I'll vouch for the eden traveller head. awesome sound quality and a believable tube o.d. sound.

If you went the ashdown route, you could get the

Mag 210T-300 combo new for $ 600
    MAG 115 "deep" cab new for $ 300

total 900 + ship

still seems expensive, but a nice rig nonethe less.

I love both ashdown and eden stuff.

15. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I went from an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and a PR410 Ampeg cab to a Walkabout Scout Combo and the 1-12 Scout extension cab. Sounds great, plenty loud and very portable, and did I say MONSTER TONE :D Expensive but I am very happy with it.

16. i got my 1-12 scout for 999.00 (new), it replaced my swr 750x with sansamp rbi and two 15" svt cabs, about 25% of the weight, half the cost, extremely portable, versatile and loud, i do have a mesa powerhouse 2x10 that i add when i need to push a little more air, still waiting for the scout extension cab. i haven't tried any of the others mentioned but after playing for 20 + years this is the best setup i've had as of yet....this sucka rocks

gear on hand
    mesa walkabout scout 12"
    mesa 2x10 powerhouse
    2 ampeg svt 15's
    hartke 2000 (backup, yet to be even turned on !)
    g@l L2000 (usa) 2003
    fender deluxe active jazz 2001
    fender p-bass 1989 mij
    fender fretless jazz 1994 mij
    fender p-bass 1962 reissue mij
    epiphone lespaul 2004
    fender bxr60
    swr la8
    sunn 200s 1967
    ampeg b2
    fender bassman 50 1966
    fender showman cab 2x15 (jbl d140's) 1969
    as of note---
    my g@l and walkabout put them all to shame !!need i say more

17. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I'll put in a vote for the Roland DB-500.
    [​IMG]

Great 12" combo amp, and you can get them used pretty cheap (+/- $350). The only problem is they don't put an ext. speaker jack on it. Their reasoning is that adding an ext. cab will compromise the awesome sound, however, there is a line out so you can run 2 DB-500's...or more. Daisy chaining is fun... :hyper:

I love mine, and just about every bassist that plays through it and/or hears it wants it. I'd love to try the DB-900...320w though 4 - 10" and 2 - 12" passive radiators!!! :eek: