1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 12" Speakers for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wayne 3-13, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    Im restoring an old 1960's Vox AC30 that i've been given but as im gonna use it for bass....
    I dont know what 12" speakers would be best to put in it.

I was thinking of maybe using Celestions.
    Any Suggestions? Makes/models?

2. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007

What!?!?

AC30 for Bass???

Has anyone ever done that.

I don't know for sure but I doubt the transformer is designed for low end.

I have tried playing bass through an old Showman head. It absolutely craps out on the Low notes. I tried playing 5 string bass through it and I actually blew a fuse.

Celestions for bass what type of sound are you going for??

Farty and distorted?

3. I've recorded using the blue back celestions that come in higher end AC30s. Has a very nice all tube sound for recording purposes. I don't know if that open back design will work for bass in any live setting, regardless of the speakers you choose.

4. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    My VOX AC30 Has a red 'BASS' stamp inside of it so thought it would be OK.

My intention was to experiment with it really - studio purposes maybe. Hopefully get a Get a warm, slightly overdriven valve sound. And also character from its age

5. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Steve Harris's Marshal 1960 cabs with EVM 12L drivers sound great but good god those drivers are expensive!

6. Don't know what kind of Budget your working with, but if it were me i would buy the Eminence Basslite S2012 Neo's and put them in there.....at 80.00 ea. their performance really can't be beat.

7. Yes VOX did that, it was called the AC30B. I played a loaner at Liverpool's' Silver Blades Ice rink and the thing was awesome! Nowadays I would not even consider using one.

The amp is an open backed design and we all know that that design is really not too good for bass. I would suggest a separate sealed cabinet and use the amp as a head. What ever you do you will still only have a 30W amp

Paul

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    NOooooo!!!

buy a nice used set of celestion blues or golds, wire them up in 16 ohms series, and give it to your grandkids.

or just sell it for awesome money.

but for the love of all that is holy, dont turn it back into a bass amp! you'll get alot more money for it.