Best 12AX7 Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    Guys, i was just wondering what your favorite 12AX7 preamp was?, The Navigator, DB659, Demeter, or any other...
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Depends on what flavor you're looking for. They're all great, but all very very different. Diffrn't strokes for diffrn't folks, so to speak.

Me personally, I like the Navigator, but I haven't tried the Aguilar pre's or some of the other highend offerings.

You might want to check out, they've got soundfiles up of a bunch of different pre's so you can compare.
  3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i really love my SWR Interstellar Overdrive (IOD), as it gives me a great tone and the flexilbility to have a: clean tube sound with pre and power tubes, clean mixed tube/ss sound, overdriven/distorted mixed tube/ss sound, and just the ss sound that i do actually prefer a bit for slap sometimes. and they all sound great.

(oh and i like the purty blue LED...hehehe :X )

but whatever you end up buying, i recommend trying out some good 5751 tubes in the place of the 12ax7, they have slightly less gain, but they sound warmer and more 'full' to me in general IME
  4. F-1X, once you get use to the tone controls.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I love my Read Custom Purity Preamp(1 12AX7, 1 12AU7) over all the preamps I've owned or tried. My second favorite is the Alembic F-1X, I wish I never sold mine. I also have an SWR Interstellar Overdrive Preamp for a backup, which is a very cool preamp. It can go from warm and smooth to over the top distorted and pretty much everything in between.