best 12s for my old bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 64lusso, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    After Mom and Dad gave me a brand new Precision for my 15'th birthday in 1966, I took my summer job money and a some bucks my aunt gave me and went out and bought the best amp I could afford. Couldn't swing a B-15 or a new Bassman but there was this used 62 bassman that was the right price. After I moved on to guitar I used it for that for a couple of years. For some reason that guitar and amp were never sold and now I have the head at an amp tech and am working on cleaning up the cabinet. The d-120's that were in the cabinet for most of it's life are now being used elsewhere. What's the best speaker I can load it with, don't care about originality and this will not be used as a guitar amp. Remember the head is only about 50 watts so something efficient with great tone might be the ticket-any thoughts?
    Thanks, Jay
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine sells some great choices...
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd use an Eminence Delta 12LF in one hole, and an Alpha 8MR in the other, with a plywood plate to adapt it to the oversize hole. A single Delta 12LF will give more bottom than even a pair of D-120s , and the Alpha a strong midrange. The small sealed Fender cab won't work well with a pair of modern twelves anyway, and with only 50 watts one woofer is plenty. You'll also need a crossover, an Eminence pxb2-800 would do fine.
  5. 64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    thanks Bill, that's the kinda approach I would never have considered, sounds very interesting, it'll be a few weeks before the tech will get to my amp so I ought to be able to get this done by then. Should I leave the divider board in between the two or just leave the entire space open?
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The Alpha MR is a sealed back mid, no need to isolate the drivers. Bills idea is a very good one.
  7. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'd go with Bill's idea. The single delta will have equal or more db's than how they came.