1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 15” Speaker Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sayclean, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:07 AM.

1. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    I played Ampeg for many years and now play Aguilar amps and cabs. I’m curious what you think is the best 15” cab. I have an Ampeg 15” Pro Neo cab and a Hartke 15” Hydrive that I use occasionally by themselves, but mainly I play the Aguilar 2x12 or 4x10 or 2 of the SL112’s cabs. I like the sound of 15’s for Blues , R&B etc. I don’t play much slap bass and my main Basses are Fender P bass with T. I. flatwounds, and a Fender Jazz with round-wounds. Thanks for your thoughts on 15” cabs

2. I used a 2 x15 Peavey for many years with a PeVey MKIV (I think) amp for quite a while, then my GK 400RB. Always liked the sound of it. Worked well for all the genres I played- rock, blues, metal, punk, country. You name it. YMMV

Sayclean likes this.
  3. Kro

Kro Formerly kap'n kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm one of those guys that doesn't put too much stock into a speaker's diameter as a tonal deciding factor, but my cab of choice just so happens to be a 15 (with a 5" mid, does that still count)?

My Greenboy Fearless F115, still as smitten with it as the day I picked it up. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

View attachment 2876050

FWIW, my rehearsal cab is also a 15, well, it uses two of them. I've warmed up to this cab a ton since I first started using it. I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it, even though it's heavy AF and is a little more wooly than I'd typically prefer. It's good, but nowhere near the F115.

View attachment 2876051

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:00 PM
  4. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Since you're an Aggie fan(so am I), I'd go with a DB115. Now, I've never used one but I can only imagine how it would sound.
    The only negative would be its weight.

5. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Greenboy cabs are my favorite. Either a fEARful 15/6 or Fearless 115.