Best 15 cab?...opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magman, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Hi -
    I will be getting a cab for my Peavey MkVI amp soon (400 watts at 2ohms, 250 at 4 I guess 125 at 8)

On the 15" combo's I;ve used, lack of treble has never been a problem (volume has though)

I am on a budget, but know that what I buy I will probably last me 15 years.

I'm down to either a Peavey BX BW, or a Bag End S-15.
    Bag ends get great reviews, are small, and that model can be had second hand for under 300 sometimes. Thing is only 8 ohm - though its efficiency may counteract that.

The black widow peavey would be more of a pain in behind to move around, but can take a lot of oomph and is self reconable.

For gigs I would get a second cab.

Basically I want to flatten drummers, be no more than 300 bucks short and not break my back ;-)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden D-115XL or XLT. Or even an Eden D-215XLT.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The Bag End totally murders the Eden, and for like half the cost. Theyre DAMN loud, extremely light, and have great tone.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I fit into both camps here. I have several Eden cabs and I just love them. Really great stuff and I'm a bigtime Eden fanatic just like Munji.

BUT I just picked up a Bag End 15" with the tweeter. What an incredible speaker!!! Great tone, fantastic lows and loud as all get out. And it's easily carried in one hand. You really can't go wrong on either of these.
  5. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The guys at BNW use Bag End 15's.Consider what they have to choose from!!!Nuff said.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agree with the consensus, Bag End are hard to beat, especially at that price point. Another good option for little money is the GK 115RBH. About 3 bills, I believe. Rear ported, light and sounds GOOD! Put that sucker in a corner with a wall behind it and thump out!
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    carvin also makes a good 15' cab for $289 + shippning, in my opinion they are much better than a peavey or bag end, i think they give you the best bang for your buck. they are 4 ohm so you would still be running your head around 240w
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Carvin better than Bag End huh?

I'll run right out and get one then!:rolleyes:

Seriously, the only that I have heard that competes with the Bag End is an Aguilar 115, but it's like $300 more.

I will probably get a Bag End 15 to use as an extension cab for my Metro for those really loud gigs.