1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 15" cab out for low end right now to go with my 8 10"s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wrylygrin85, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Best 15" cab... I have an 8 10" cab but want a good low end 15" for the other side of the stage (or my side) to pick up the low notes. I drop a lot with my bass whammy and use a lot of different distortions. My guitarist has 2 custom 2 12" Avatar's paired with @ peavey ultra and a 5150 that are blowing me out of the water lol. So I need something with a good heavy low end. Thanks!!!

2. Also, anyone that is selling something that will ship to Fayetteville, NC is more than welcome to message me. I've seen some mesa's, orange, gallien Krueger, ampeg, avatar, and Eden's under $400 but don't have anyway of listening to them so I'm going to have to trust some people on here. No one has gave me bad advice yet. I've bought a lot of badass pedals off of reviews from this site. I love it.

wintremute likes this.
  3. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I would suggest a AMPEG V4B cab.... it has 2 x 15" in a folded horn...
    I have an extra 1969 B25B cab I would sell cheap... It is 2 x 15" front loaded cab..

Wrylygrin85 and HolmeBass like this.
  4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Fifteens don't necessarily go lower than tens. If you did find a 1x15 cab that went lower than your 8x10 you'd need at least three of them to keep up. Cabs should never be split to either side of the stage, that leads to phase sourced low frequency cancellation. If you can't keep up with a guitar using an 8x10 then the guitar is too frikken loud. Tell him to leave one of his 2x12, and his ego, at home.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Adding ONE 15 would not be a good idea for many reasons already stated by @Rick James. One more reason is that that 15 would be the weak link in this equation, and would certainly fail at some point.

murphy, smogg, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    And which solid state 150w or less head are you powering your 810 with and being overpowered? Or perhaps you need to stop scooping your low mids?

Then again 120w tube guitar amps can get pretty loud. But any decent 350w+ bass head and an 810 should keep up fine. But very few have the ability to add more cabs since 810s tend to be 4ohms. You need a 2ohm stable head in order to add more. If you are using an SVT and still getting drowned out then I don't know what to say.

7. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    The very best 15" cab for blooming bottom would have to be the large Bag End S15B-D cab, that was the question and there is your answer;):) :roflmao:

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1) What specific 8x10 do you have?

2) What amp do you have?

9. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I really liked the swr son of Bertha, and would probably be rocking it as the extension to my rumble 200 had it not been stolen. It was not boomy though, it was pretty tight on the response, but still hit almost as low as the Goliath III 410. Yep the 410 had a lower useable frequency, but the 15 seemed to push it out further, while the 410 sounded best right in front of the cab. The one time I played just the 15 on its own, I was surprised how angry the mids were while still having plenty of bottom. Damn I miss that cab! It was sensitive too, moved plenty of air at only 50w when used as an extension cab for my workingman's 10, which also got stolen.

The answer, a stack of 2 son of Bertha cabs, but one might end up being mine :(

For $299 a rumble 115 v3 might be worth the experiment, I like the speaker in my 200, same 15" driver.

10. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Like people are saying: if you're playing so loud that your 8x10 is getting buried, no single 1x15 will give you "heavy low end" at that volume level. I'd say...
    • If you really want to solve the problem of your bass getting swamped by the guitar, look at your amp and tone, and the guitarist's tone, and the physical placement of everyone's amps. There's no reason a working 8x10 rig can't be heard alongside a pair of 2x12s, so it's something about the way you guys are doing this. Hell, I've seen tons of loud bands where an 8x10 works with a pair of 4x12s and even full stacks, no problem.
    • If you just want to get a lot louder, I'd suggest either a matching 8x10 (which will give you the tone you have, just...MORE) or a modern, ported, deep-sounding 2x15 or two 1x15s (which is going to run you more than the $400 you mentioned). A single 15 is going to be more trouble than it's worth because it's so drastically out of balance with an 8x10 in terms of loudness and probably power handling.
    Good luck! And, brace yourself for a barrage of posts about making your guitar player turn down, not needing more than a 2x10 for bass, etc.

11. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Ask your guitar player to turn down the volume. This will be the best option you can get soundwise as well as monetary.

If you place a second cab at the other side of the stage you don't will get lots of benefit out of the second cab.
    On stage there will be delay issues (no this is not phase :laugh:) and efficiene at lows and low mids will be reduced by -3dB versus stacking the cabs side by side.
    The effect is similar like it happens with side fills on stage

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    smogg likes this.
  12. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    According to your profile, you have a Peavey Firebass amp and a Peavey 810 cabinet.
    The Firebass puts out 475W into 4 Ω. Most Peavey 810 cabinets are 4 Ω.
    You would be able to get more volume from your 810 cabinet with a larger power amp.

If you just want additional low end, a powered PA sub with an 18" speaker may help.
    Most powered PA subs have a crossover that filters out high frequencies.

AlexanderB likes this.
  13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Trying to run a single 15" cab and an 810 from the same amp will only result in a blown 15" speaker.

Your cab will produce more than enough low end on it's own; the guitarist either needs to turn down or adjust his EQ, likely both.

murphy, Lvjoebass, smogg and 2 others like this.
  14. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Be on the lookout for an SWR Megoliath 810. Lots of low end on that one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    smogg likes this.
  15. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    smogg and wintremute like this.
  16. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    2 ohm stable and 700w? Add a henry8x8 ;)

17. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    I used to own a fire bass and found it strangely lacking in volume when turning the bass up. I didn't think that the power supply was man enough.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  18. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Considering the size of the swr bass750 compared with the fire bass, that does not surprise me. I wasn't a fan of that era of peavey amps, in fact I stuck my swr nose up in the air at peavey back then, afteral, that's what I had just upgraded from. And a better 810 might make a difference, swr megoliath or a stack of 2 Goliaths. Time for new rig perhaps, the cab and head are probably conspiring to make that 5150 look good.

19. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Don't know from where you got this wisdom because

If the single 15" was a 8 Ohm cab which is most common for single driver cabs the single 15" would get 158 Watt at most at full output power of the amplifier.

I think there are way more serious arguments rather than needless power doom mongering to just not suggest this combination.
    Same is for phase-mongering.

20. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Same here.