Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, May 11, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What is your favorite 8 ohm 15 cab, and why.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I really like my SWR Son Of Bertha 1x15. I use it with either a Mesa-Boogie Bass 400 or an Ampeg B2R and it has a clear, quick, punchy, deep sound that likes to be driven hard. It handles the low B on my 5 string fretless Peavey Cirrus and can get a good rock tone with my StingRay. The tweeter adds in various amounts of bite, it's only 60 pounds, and fits into my small car. I paid $500 for mine.

I used to have an open-back Bag End cabinet with an Electro Voice 15 and it was very light and compact. It filled the room nicely for low-volume gigs but the small open-backed cab didn't project deep bass very well. The large, front-ported Bag End cabinet (which I owned briefly before trading it for the small one) pumps out the lows in spades and would be great to pair with a cabinet that has good mid/high response.

I tried Ampeg, Trace Elliot, and Eden 1x15 cabinets before I got the SWR and wasn't impressed by them. The Eden in particular had a harsh, ugly midrange coloration that remained no matter what bass I played through it. I have a 400 watt Carvin 15 in a homemade cabinet and in both sealed and ported modes it sounds slow and muddy and distorts very easily-not a pro quality speaker, IMO. I've borrowed the large Genz Benz 1x15 from a friend and while it goes pretty deep the speaker is very inefficient. I've heard very good things about the Aguilar and Mesa Boogie 1x15's. Hope this helps-happy hunting!

3. DUBZ

DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Try The Peavey Black Widow 115 Cab( 8 ohm or 4 ohm)they dont empty your pocket but it'll fill the room with bass if you want it to,good luck,Dubz..

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Mine would be the MESA/Boogie 1x15. I was actually a die hard 10's user until I heard this cab. Very deep, tight lowend, and a surprising amount of high end. Check 'em out.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I love my Bag End S15-D. It's the rear-ported model Winston referred to above. I find it has plenty of deep bass for the bars where my band plays -- I usually have to adjust my bass and/or amp to dial out some of the low end. Winston noted that his had an Electro Voice speaker -- perhaps that accounts for the difference in our experiences, as mine has a stock Bag End speaker.

I am surprised at the amount of midrange and high end this cab can put out, considering it doesn't have a tweeter. Very punchy. The price is attractive too -- you can pick one up for under $400.

I'm probably going to add a second S15-D to my rig eventually. I kinda wish Bag End made an 8 ohm 2x10 that I could pair with my 15, but I think the 15 gives me adequate snap and growl.

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i would have to second the mesa boogie diesel 1x15. it's got all the high end i need and tons of low end. it's a very bright, punchy cabinet and it's also very light. i only wish they came in 4 ohms.

7. I'm with Oddentity on this one ! Picked up my S15-D a couple of weeks ago and still can"t get over its ability to work as a full range cab given its lack of a horn or tweeter. Its size defies its sound ,talk about portability! Its one cool cube

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm partial to my new Eden D-115XL. It sounds exceptionally bitchen in concert with my D-210XLT.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm with the Munji-meister on the Eden 15 but only when it's with the Eden 210xlt. My fav standalone 15 is the Bag End. I have the model with the tweeter. It's so cool to go to a jam, practice or gig with that in one hand, the head/tuner in the other and the bass in a gig bag on my back.

This speaker can take some real punishment and it keeps on playing it's little heart out without popping a bead of sweat. The only real drag about it is that it's so short that I can't see my tuner, in the rack bag, unless I bend way over. Oh and that deep red carpet cover seems to pill up more than the stuff on my Eden cabs or my old SWR Goliath II. The guys up at BassNW all say that the B. End 15 is the only speaker cab that they gig with and they have lots of choices.

10. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    holy cow, bass northwest is so cheap it aint funny. they sell stuff for a hundred less than musicians friend at least.

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    It is hard to beat the Bag End for sound, voulme and weight. I find mine has plenty of bass and plenty of high end for a cab without a tweeter.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Hey for all you guys with the Bag End S15-D I have a question. Can it handle the low B on a 5 string? I was looking at the specs on the Bag End website and it said the S15-D only goes down to 50hz. I know you can't judge a cab's sound by specs but this one caught my eye.

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yep she does real well with the B string on the Lakland. Nice tight lows. I'm real happy with mine and love it when it's time to fit it in the car or haul it around. I usually use my Eden WT-500 to drive it. I've also hooked it up to my 1100 watt power amp/Navigator pre and she doesn't seem to complain one bit. I've also been real impressed with the 2-10 Bag End but the S15 is such a killer deal.

14. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Chuck Levins music quoted me 365 for the s15d,469 for the s15bd.Ship/ins extra.Another real nice 15 is the Bergantino.All Bergs are expensive but the raves they're getting are amazing.EVERYONE!!!Swears they kill the competition.Good luck!

15. love my mesa diesel 1x15, especially w/ my 2x10 on top....but even much better w/ my 4x10 deep diesel mesa cab on top of it. makes me want to wet my pants.....

16. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Yo should try a "Donar" cab by a dutch company called Hevos. (www.hevos.nl)
    They have a 15 inch cab with a 6inch speaker for the highs instead of a tweeter. And it's really light as well.

I might be getting one in the oh-so-far-future.