best 15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Aug 27, 2001.

1. i need a 15 cab that can handle about 200 watts at 8 ohms... whats the best boom for my buck..?
  2. xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    ampeg classic 15" I got one and I just love it! it's the best 15" cab I've ever heard it's 200 watts RMS and 400 max.
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Check out the Bag End S-15D.Lightweight,compact,and killer tone.
  4. I've got an SWR Basic Black, and I would recommend it to anyone.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Find a Yorkville 115BX. Comes with a 300w Eminence driver. Just for grins I put a 400w EV Black Shadow in mine. Amazing results in a small cab.

Sonic makes an unloaded vented small 15 cab, too. I put the 300w Eminence driver in one and it works quite well. Inexpensive, too.
  6. id love to find a bag end 15 to go with my 4x10 but it would probably be pretty hard to find and very expensive... i got a GREAT deal on the 4x10 and dont think ill be able to do that again... how much would one go for
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    BagEnd 115 DB is a nice speaker. Ported to the front, not toooo heavy but lots of rumble. They also make a 15 or 18 that is ELF capable but that adapatation is about $700 more.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Another vote for the Bag End - it's my favorite so far, and I've looked at just about every cab around. Another few weeks, and I should have a S15-D of my own!

About $400 for the S15-D, try BassNW.
  9. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Want boom? The three boomiest cabs I know of are the Ampeg PR-15H, the Bag End S15B-D (NOT the little S15-D), and the Ashdown ABM115-500. I've seen all of them on sale for $400-450.

The larger the box, the more of a fat, boomy, thundering low end you'll get.

10. i tired the ampeg and it sounded to good... clean low sound. i am still searching for a bag end though... i think thats what im shooting for.
  11. Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Just got a Son of Bertha. I A/B'ed it with the Ampeg 1X15 and another cab loaded with an EV 15. There was no comparison. The SOB was just much louder than either of the other two. I used it this past weekend on a blues gig with my SVTII and was able to get a nice smooth bluesy tone with the tone controls flat (except treble rolled off to 10 o'clock). The reason I didn't try any other cabs is because the SOB is the only high quality 1X15 small enough to fit in the back seat of my Mercury Sable. Its sensivity of 102 db (1W/1M) gives it a big sound in a small package.
  12. Washington Music Center sells the S15-D for around $365.00 plus shipping.
  13. Try the Mesa Boogies. They are full range cabs and you don't even need the horn tweeter in my opinion.
    I use both of mine togeter or single or with my 2x10 on top. Full range takes some getting used to but once you hear it with the mix, I think you will be sold.
  14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Isn't it amazing how the best gear is always the stuff we own? Well, here's mine: Eden D115XL. It's rated at 400watts/8ohms. I previously owned a GK 15 RBS and the Eden is better sounding to my ears and definitely fatter. The GK had a rear port which was good if you had it set up in a corner and, frankly, I often used it by itself in medium clubs and the thing just ruled! I got rid of it when I tired of the GK amps I was using (i.e. 400RB and 800RB) and wanted something with more "bloom." That's when I got into Edens. But that GK cab was always good and it's cheap and lighweight, too. My only gripe was construction: the mounts for the casters came loose and had to be glued in.

The D115XL has front ports so you can set it up anywhere and get a great bottom-end. I usually pair it with the Eden D210XLT for the best of both worlds. I also briefly owned the Eden D115 (unported) which is rated at 200watts/8ohms and found it to be excellent when paired up with a 2X10. You can also get the D115XLT which has the tweeter and is power-rated the same as mine.

Based on my experience and your desire for optimum "bang for your buck," I'd have to recommend the GK115RBS for about 3 bills new. An awfully good box for the money and it meets your power/impedence requirements to a "t." Best of all, it sound GREAT by itself.
  15. I played one of the Gallien Krueger 15s recently, and the tone was excellent. I don't remember the wattage, though, but it was an 8 ohm cab.

Rock on
  16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I really dont like 15's but if I had to get one it would be the eden 115xlt for a 15 the overall sound was quite surprising and good bottom.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    For a really deep sounding bass... The Bag End S15B-D's the cab to get.

I like my Peavey 115BXBW also, it's a punchy and really quick 15".

Peavey 115BXBW can hold 350 watts RMS, and 700 watts program.

The Bag End S15B-D can hold 200 watts RMS, and 400 program.
  18. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I just had a Flite Sound 1x15 (w/5" midrange) cabinet made for me. Best 15" cab I've played through - very tight and punchy and not muddy at all.