Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 15 inch cab under 350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Dec 25, 2005.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I need a bass cab,iv'e played bass for over 20 years on and off,now i am getting back into it and sorry i sold my mesa boogie 2-15's
    a little while back,anyway i still need to buy an amp,but don't have the money for one yet ,but i can get a cab.

I play a five string fender roscoe beck
    1)should i buy a combo amp?
    2)should i pick up a peavey black widow 15" cab for $300?
    3)i am planning on gigging alot,should i go with a 4-10 or just get a 1-15?probably small to medium sized bars and clubs.
    I think a peavey 400watt 1-15 cab would work pretty good with my old 2-10 hartke 120watts,well what do you guys think? :hyper:

2. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    I recommend a used Bag End 15 in cab; a favorite of many in the Talkbass community. Do a search on this site for futher info.

Ask me again in the next century and we'll see if my answer has changed. I doubt it.

Merry Christmas

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1 on the bag end suggestion if you want to go 15"

you'll have to find a used one though. i think thy're close to 450 new these days. used ones should go for about 300.

however, go check out a lot of stuff and see what you like. I'd be concerned about the wattage though. 10 watts isnt much for a bass rig. Check the FAQ "check here before asking........" sticky at the top of the amps forum for links to several threads that include some commentary on wattage.

4. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    10watts?

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    +1 (also -- S15X-D).

You can always add a S15-D later on for a very portable, great sounding setup.

I'm guessing one D15 by itself won't sound like a MB 2x15, but for the money, hard to beat.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ummmmmmm...................120 watts?

:p

7. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    yes my old hartke 2-10 is 120 watts,i am looking to sell it.

8. I have a like new Mesa Diesal cab with the famed EV (electrovoice) 15" driver. Pm if you are interested.

9. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    pm sent

10. I love my peavey 2x15 BW cab, cost £75 and is the best 215 cab ive heard/used :)

never tried a bag end, and, i know this doesnt help, but i didnt like the peavey 1x15 with black widdows (i think they are different speakers and cab tunings)

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i just got my new GK Backline 600 300 watt amp + a GK 115 BLX-II cab for under $400 all together at Guitar Center. i really like the Gallien-Krueger stuff. i had originally wanted the Backline 250 amp as advertised on musiciansfriend.com, but they had no more in stock. i asked for another comparable deal, and they told me they had nothing near that price for the quality.

12. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    cool,i am thinkin about a GK 700rb2

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the cab you have is the one i had. great cab.

do me a huge favor - measure the darned thing and give me the dimensions. and see if there is a model # on the back - :)

14. Its a 215-D BW :D

~38 inchs tall (a fraction over 38, but thats just the cab, add another 2.5 inchs to include the casters)
    ~26 inchs wide (a fraction under 26)
    ~18 inchs deep

Hope that helps