1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 15" Neodymium speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrock357mag, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jrock357mag

jrock357mag

Nov 29, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    Im looking to replace a speaker in one of my 1x15 cabs with a neodymium. Just looking for an honest opinion or experience on what driver i should buy. Looking at the Eminence Kappalite, basslite or maybe a driver from B&C. Didnt know if there was a "norm" out there when it comes to buying a replacement speaker with a neo mag. Thanks!

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i don't know how big your cab is or the tuning frequency, but the kappalite 3015lf is very hard to beat (strictily a woofer, not for stand alone use without at least a midrange, though) in it's price range it is absolutely untouchable. driver selection is going to depend on your enclosure though.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Crack is correct that you need to match the driver to the cabinet volume and tuning for best results.

As for 'best' the Em 3015's are excellent value and probably the bang/$ leaders. There are other brands who make superb neo drivers, such as 18Sound, Ciare, BMS, Beyma, B&C amongst others.

4. jrock357mag

jrock357mag

Nov 29, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    The driver is going in a GK 1x15 cab, i have a markbass 2x10 combo on top so that takes care of the high, mid and believe it or not the low. I got the GK for dirt cheap used and who ever had it before me never used it because it was sitting next to a new one and both my girlfriend and I couldnt tell the difference. The cab sounds great as it is, id just like to put a neo in it to save some weight and up the wattage, I think the eminence is rated at 350w RMS?

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Still need to know the internal volume, and the size (diameter and length) of any port(s) it may have to calculate out how it will tune in the enclosure, or even it it'll work very well.

6. jrock357mag

jrock357mag

Nov 29, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    This is what GK has listed for specs. not to sure if this will help:( , rear circular port is 6" in diameter:

IMPEDANCE:
    8 ohms
    POWER RATING:
    200 Watts
    WOOFER:
    1xGK-Paragon 15B200-8, Stamped Frame, 15", 200W, 8 ohm High Presence Voice Coil
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
    56Hz to 5kHz
    SENSITIVITY:
    97dB
    SPEAKER OUTPUT:
    One 1/4" jack
    CONSTRUCTION:
    MDF Cabinet, Black Carpet, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Removable Nickel Plated Castors, Custom Tooled Interlocking Corners, Rear-Ported
    WEIGHT:
    69 lbs
    DIMENSIONS:
    23"W x 23"H x 18"D

7. The cabinet dimensions are what really matter here (among other things of course). Im sure someone else here can tell you the science better than I, but I know there are some online sites and java apps that can calculate the the driver specs if you punch in the box dimensions. That'll probably give you the xmxax (dispersion, i think) and preferable frequency response that the driver should have for optimal results.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Taking away the panel thicknesses, I get about 120L / 4.2 cu ft internal volume.
    The second smallest enclosure Eminence suggest for the -LF is 4.1 cu ft net.
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/cab-kappalite-3015lf.pdf
    Medium Vented Sub PA cabinet. (P7)

So, assuming my sleep deprived mind hasn't made an error, swap in the -LF, change the port as per the big E's suggestion and you should be fine.

9. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    here, go to usspeaker.com, call them, tell them your situation. give them the dimensions of your speaker cabinet (them may ask you for details, so have it on hand with a tape measure when you call), they will run it through the eminence software FOR YOU and tell you exactly what speaker to buy. I've had great experience dealing with them. Comp prices, full selection, VERY nice customer service.

10. jrock357mag

jrock357mag

Nov 29, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks adbass! Thats were i was looking for a driver at first, just didnt know that they would be able to do something like that over the phone. Ill give them a call and see what they say. Thanks to everone else for the help, i guess i didnt realize that swapping drivers is such a science!

11. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    it's mostly science, but also experience. good luck.